A Weekend In Puerto Rico

A Weekend In Puerto Rico

An itinerary for seeing the island if you're just there for a few days

13
A Weekend In Puerto Rico
Unsplash

Puerto Rico is one of the best places to visit because it has some of the friendliest people and magnificent landscapes. It is not only a beautiful country by looking at it but also through the energy and soul of the people. Most likely you will learn about someone’s life story by just waiting in the supermarket because people are incredibly outgoing and open in this island. Ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind, is such a relatable mantra for how people view each other on this island. The history is rich and deep on this island because it has been around for so long and has been greatly shaped by the Spanish conquerors. It’s a vibrant island full of color and laughter and is definitely worth a visit. Here is an itinerary for a few days; however, the island cannot be covered in possibly just three days.

Friday

12 p.m.

Catch Some Rays

Head over to Isla Verde to enjoy the clear waters and beautiful sands underneath the warm Caribbean sun. El Morro will be visible in the distance, creating a unique and island-like feel to the sands. If you decide to go snorkeling, you will be able to see a plethora of sea creatures amongst the Coral reefs. Along the beach will be many different activities to choose from, such as, banana boats, parasailing, kayaking, and more. Don Julio owns a small sandwich cart in which he makes anything from chicken sandwiches to Tripletas. He owns a small condo next to where he sets up shop, so he is there most days. To cool off, ordering an ice cream from the ice cream carts that pass you will be of help.

7 p.m.

Night Out On The Town

After showering off the sunscreen and sea salt, you’ll have built up an appetite. Old San Juan is one of the most bustling and exciting cities in all of the world which is why going out to dinner there on a Friday night can prove to be quite a treat. There are many delicious restaurants that you will want to try making it hard to narrow it down to a single choice. La Mallorquina is the oldest restaurant in Old San Juan serving native food. It was built in 1848 and temporarily closed down in 2012. It has an old world charm with checkered flooring, white tables, open windows, and a large fountain underneath an inviting skylight. However, if you are looking for a place that is a little less pricey, El Jibarito delivers the same level of authenticity and quality of food. This restaurant requires no particular dress code as it has been made for native Puerto Rican workers to come grab dinner in a comforting and homestyle place.

Saturday

Explore!

10 a.m.

Head on over to Ponce, a town located in the Southern part of P.R. Here you will be able to discover many different statues, fountains, authentic restaurants, and museums. Known for its unique architecture and artwork, a stroll around the town can be quite enjoyable. When you hit the center of the town, make sure to visit Parque de Bombas. Parque de Bombas is an old firehouse converted into a museum to be a symbol of the bravery of its firefighters.

2 p.m.

Sightseeing Is a Must

A short drive away is Castilo Serralles which is a mansion built off the money made from the Serralles rum and the Cruceta El Vigia which is a 100 foot observation tower that gives you a beautiful view of the city of Ponce. The Serralles made their money growing sugar cane, operating a sugar mill, and producing rum. The largest and most common brand that the Serralles Rum produces is Don Q.

5 p.m.

Seafood By the Seashore

By this time, you will have built up an appetite for some seafood after exploring the southern part of the island all day. A good restaurant to try out would be De Jesus Restaurante in Ponce, serving fresh and authentic style Puerto Rican Mariscos. You can order anything from mofongo or a whole fish; however, always make sure to order a side of tostones to accompany your plate. Another restaurant in Ponce is Pitos Restaurante serving seafood by the seashore. It’s a perfect location while eating original and fresh style seafood as well.

Sunday

10 a.m.

Back To The Old S.J.

San Juan is one of the oldest and most historical cities in the U.S. which means the history is going to be rich and deeply inviting to finding out more about it. There are two forts that are frequented by tourists and natives to learn about the history of the military side of the island. The two islands are called San Felipe del Morro y El Castillo San Cristobal. The Spanish built these forts to cover both sides of the entrance into the port from enemies.

1 p.m.

Take a Stroll

Stroll the streets of Old San Juan to explore different clothing and trinket shops. There will be many touristy stores to buy the expected “Puerto Rico” tee-shirts; however, you can also find original hand crafted art stores if you desire something more native. There are many different types of bars to buy a mojito at while walking through the hot cobblestone streets. There are vendors set up by the cruise ship port selling Puerto Rican candies, jewelry, leather goods, and seashell statues. These vendors are not always there; however, they are almost always there during the busy tourist season.

6 p.m.

Pit Stop

Make sure to take a stop in Plaza de Armas and grab a piragua from one of the many street carts set up there. You can see a beautiful view of the ocean and El Morro. It is a nice place to sit and people watch while taking a break from walking all day. After finishing the piragua, you can burn it off by walking to the cemetery close to El Morro filled with the bodies of many famous Puerto Ricans. The beach walk close to the fort is also a nice hike if you are not too tired from shopping. It is best to go at sunset because it casts a orange glow off the water that can create some great memories.