weekend guide to milwaukee

Being in Chicago, and a city person, I don't find that the Midwest the easiest to travel through, unless I'm going hiking or swimming in the lake. Every so often however, I try to see different cities in other states. Over the long weekend, I went to Milwaukee for the last day of Summerfest and have come up with an awesome weekend guide.

1. Milwaukee Public Market

Located in the historical district, this was a perfect lunch spot after the two hour trip into the city as the main attraction is the variety of mostly-local food businesses. After my appetite was satiated, I was ready to see more of the city.

2. Historical District

This historic warehouse district, or Third Ward, is considered a national historic place. Today however, there's a multitude of stores, bars, art, restaurants, and theaters all located by the river. I easily spent an hour walking around downtown, past the art museum and taking everything in.

3. Lakefront Brewery

Recommended by my co-worker, this brewery/beer hall is a fun (and cheap!) place with tours, food, and lots of crowds. Getting a table may be a challenge, but stopping by and following the experience up with a walk along the river it's next to is a must-do.

4. Bar Hopping!

Brewery aside, something cool that I found out about Milwaukee night life is that a lot of the bars are right next to each other. From dancing at Harp on the river, we were able to walk down Old World 3rd street and Brady street where there were blocks of nightlife options. We eventually settled for a board game bar called Monica's though.

5. Zoo

It takes a drive to get out to, but the Milwaukee Zoo is definitely worth visiting. With a large space, big and well maintained enclosures and plenty of animals, it is easy to spend a couple of hours here. My personal favorites were the bears, tiger, otters, giraffes, and elephant.

6. Harley Davidson

While I didn't have time to tour the whole museum I was able to grab a bite at the restaurant connected to it, not to mention, take a few touristy photos along the walk there.

7. McKinley Beach

Over a two mile walk from downtown, but the parks and nature along the way made it worth it. On the beach itself, there's a pier that overlooks the skyline from the lake, which is worth that panoramic selfie. Next to the beach are multiple parks and lots of greenery to relax with friends.

8. Colectivo Coffee

A Chicago favorite amongst many of my college friends and coworkers, this coffee shop originated in Milwaukee. Throughout the day, I had friend who were also in town by coincidence, so we were able to catch up over a cup of coffee at the original location.

9. SummerFest

A perfect way do finish up the weekend trip was to attend the last day of the festival. A mix between a street fest with food and drink vendors, along with carnival games, not to mention the main point of attraction - the concerts. I was able to watch local bands, along with Snoop Dogg & Lil Wayne.