Wedding Tips From The Perspective Of A Catering Server

Ah weddings, the most magical event of your life for many, but here are some tips for details you may not have eaten thought of until after the fact.

66

I may only be twenty but believe me I've been to my fair share of weddings. Although they are all fairly different, many are the same. A long white dress, floral arrangements everywhere, music, a bar, and people dancing to end the night. Having attended many events here are some definite do's and don'ts in planning and executing your wedding.

1. NO ENGRAVED OR MONOGRAMMED NAPKINS.

Yes, the monogrammed napkins are cool for like a hot second. In the end, they get covered in food, stepped on or used as a tissue so you might as well spend the money elsewhere.

2. SPLURGE on the photographer.

The night flies by!!! Although it's definitely an investment, when you ask a friend to take pictures during the event they may get caught up talking to guests and miss important photo opportunities. This is a day you'll want to remember and to have pictures that capture your favorite moments.

3. Be nice to your wait staff and hire enough!

They are under a ton of pressure to make this night absolutely perfect for you and spend 12-hour shifts setting everything up, making sure it runs smoothly, dealing with drunk people's shenanigans and cleaning everything up. Be kind. If you have a large number of guests attending your event please make the servers lives a little easier and make sure you hire enough wait staff. I understand its expensive, but if there aren't enough of us during your reception, you'll see tables in the back covered in used plates with empty glasses everywhere. I only have 2 arms. Also, they are there to SERVE you! Please tip them.

4. Be sure there is enough alcohol!!!

If you are using a catering company that makes you provide the alcohol (more common than you think) over estimate. You will get anything not used back at the end of the night and it is extremely stressful for the bartenders when there is an open bar and not enough alcohol has been provided for your guests

5. Provide socks for guests!

If you would like many people to take advantage of the dance floor, make sure you provide socks for women to slip on when they start to get blisters from their 6-inch heels. They will love you for it.

6. Make sure you get your food wrapped up.

Every time you go to eat, someone is going to come talk to you and congratulate you on your new adventure. You will never get a moment to taste the food you paid a lot of money for.

7. Make sure you order enough glasses!

Every part of the setup such as glasses and plates are all ordered for the event. Make sure you slightly overestimate!! When alcohol is added to the picture, glasses and cups will accidentally get broken by your guests so make sure there are extra that we can provide.

8. Don’t spend a ton of money on flowers

If you don’t inform your guests they can take them home at the end of the night, or you don’t take them yourself (believe me that will be the last thing on your mind), they will be thrown out! It's so sad throwing out gorgeous floral arrangements, they can look pretty without costing a fortune.

9. FOOD IS EVERYTHING.

Hire a good catering company that has good food! That will be a big part of your reception that people will remember and most importantly, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW IF YOUR GUESTS HAVE ALLERGIES.

10. Have a coat check for a winter event

Very often when there is just a rack and no one staffing it, coats get misplaced or accidentally taken by another guest. One additional stressor that isn't needed, so provide your guests with a friendly face right at the start of your special day that can ease that chaos.

11. Do have a cute signature drink at the bar

Guests love going to the bar and having an option to pick a personalized drink that you and your significant other came up with together. It gives them something to remember and may allow them to try something new!

12. Do have a basket in the bathroom with essentials

SO many times, guests will approach servers needing a sewing kit for a rip from when your uncle bob stepped on the back of a dress or a bobby pin for a loose curl. Have a basket in the bathroom filled with small essentials like gum, tissues, hairspray, etc.

13. Practice your first dance!!

It is so uncomfortable for everyone when the groom steps on the brides' toe or they awkwardly don’t look at each other or stand close to each other while they sashay around the dance floor. This is your center of attention moment other than the ceremony that gives you and your significant other a moment to be alone together and celebrate the vows you just made to each other. Enjoy it!

14. Make sure the people you pick to give toasts are appropriate

When the best man is of drinking age, he may get carried away talking about a crazy guys night or the maid of honor may go on a rant discussing a crazy party back in their college days. Some stories lead to laughs and good memories, however, others lead to 20 minutes rants that don’t even kind of relate back to the bride and groom.

15. Leave seats open in the back for your ceremony

Unfortunately, not everyone runs off the same universal time clock, so to prevent a disruption, leave seats open in the back during your ceremony so we can usher the latecomers in quickly and quietly so they don’t interrupt your I Do's.

16. HIRE A WEDDING PLANNER

Yes, it's expensive but it makes everything run smoother on your special day and allows you to use your energy talking to guests and dancing rather than worrying about things going on in the kitchen. Believe me, a lot of events go on during your event you will never know about.

And last but certainly not least and probably the most important thing I have learned from my job is...

17. FOCUS ON THE BIG PICTURE.

The amount of times I've seen a bride crying because her dad wanted to leave because he was tired or that the table clothes were not exactly the right color as expected is insane. The day is already happening and nothing can be changed now so remember what the big day is all about. Marrying the love of your life and celebrating with your family and friends the start of an incredible new journey.

So sit back and dance the night away to enjoy the happiest day of your life with the people who care about the both of you the most.