The Do’s and Don’ts of Wearing Scrubs

The Do’s And Don’ts Of Wearing Scrubs

Follow these do's and don'ts to look your best in your scrubs.

Reva Vir
Reva Vir
52

One of the perks of working in a hospital or doctor's office is that you get to wear oh-so-comfortable scrubs. But comfort doesn't mean that you should look like you just rolled out of bed and strolled into work. It doesn't matter if you were up all night studying for an exam or that your college buddies convinced you to hang out until 2 am – you need to look neat and professional at work.

1. Do Find a Good Fit

Finding a good fit can be tricky with scrubs. They shouldn't be too baggy, but they shouldn't be too tight either. It's important to find a good in-between fit – think Grey's Anatomy.

There are hundreds of medical uniforms online so you're sure to find a fit that complements your body type. And most of them have sizing guides to make your life easier. Make sure that you take your measurements before buying, and check reviews to see if anyone complains about the size being too small or big.

2. Don’t Give Everyone a Show

Sorry ladies and gents, no one wants to see your underwear when you're at work. But unfortunately, this is a big problem with scrubs because of their loose fit.

Your underwear should never peek through the top of your scrub pants. When shopping for pants, do a few squats to make sure you stay covered. Hospitals can get chaotic at times, and you never know what kind of acrobatic moves you may have to make. The last thing you want to worry about is your underwear.

Also, make sure that you check out your scrubs in different angles of lighting. You can sometimes see right through the pants, which can be awkward if you're wearing your Wonder Woman panties that day.

3. Do Keep Your Scrubs in Good Shape

It should go without saying that you should keep your scrubs in good shape. Stains are a big issue in the nursing field. Some days are better than others, but there's always a good chance that you'll get something on your scrubs.

One way to avoid this problem is to wear darker-colored scrubs. Dark colors will make stains less noticeable and keep you looking your best while at work. And you may want to keep an extra pair of scrubs on hand at all times just in case you need to change. Make sure your extra scrubs are clean and stain-free.

Wear and tear from washing can be tough on lower-quality scrubs. If your budget allows, invest in high-quality scrubs from well-known brands. You may pay more upfront, but they'll last longer.

4. Do Follow Facility Codes

Last – and most importantly – make sure that you're following facility codes. Some facilities only allow certain colors or prints. Always follow the codes to the letter.

Even if only certain colors are allowed, you can still dress up your uniform in other ways to make it your own. Accessories are one way to personalize your look, but again, make sure that whatever you wear fits into the facility's dress code.