We Need to Stop Putting Ourselves and Others Down

"What is love? Love is just the absence of judgment." — Dalai Lama
21

Out of curiosity, after watching Nicole Arbour’s “Dear Fat People” video, I looked at #fatshaming, #fitshaming, #slutshaming and all sorts of other ridiculous hashtags on Instagram and the Interweb, and what I realized is that people have way too much time on their hands.

I had the same thought when I heard the criticisms "The Bachelorette" received this season. Is it really so hard for people to focus on themselves? Honestly, who has time to write a 500 word caption or comment on a picture, aiming to criticize others? Do people have nothing better to do? There are so many problems in this world that people could focus their attention on instead.

I think people let themselves be offended too easily. Did I give Meghan Trainor any backlash when she called “me” a skinny bitch in "All About That Bass"? No. Because she thinks she’s hot stuff and I think I’m hot stuff, and that's all that's important. We need to get better at letting things roll off of our backs… Why let others make us feel inferior? Why waste so much time being unhappy because of what a total stranger, a stupid guy, or even what one of our friends said about us? We shouldn’t. We’re responsible for our own happiness, no one else!

These are all just opinions. If you’re proud of yourself, if you’re happy with and confident in who you are, then good! That’s all that matters. You don’t need to comment on other people’s pictures or post and share your own responses, because that in turn drops you down to the same level as the people you’re “getting back at.” We need to focus on ourselves. But by that I don’t mean focusing on sharing things about ourselves with the internet. No, no. I’m not promoting #bodypositivity either. Sure it’s better than other hashtags I’ve seen, but it's like trying to use a squirt gun to stop a forest fire. It ain’t gonna solve any problems. The best way to put shaming to an end is to stop doing it ourselves. We need to stop judging and criticizing other people; we need to stop defending ourselves, stop commenting and posting and sharing and liking and thumbs downing things. We need to stop with the social media, and it starts with each one of us.

When we spend time focusing solely on ourselves, we become happier and more confident, we discover our wants and needs, and that’s what’s important here; focusing on being the best versions of ourselves, inside and out, whatever we believe the best version may be. Be who you know are meant to be with no shame, no bias, and no judgment on yourself or others. If we each find happiness with ourselves, it won’t matter what a few other people believe.

"Figure out who you are, be happy with yourself and don't take anything from anyone*." — Anne Hathaway

*That doesn’t mean go on the Internet and stick it to ‘em; it means don’t let yourself become engulfed in someone else’s hate; simply don’t let it get to you.