We Have The Power

We Have The Power

How millennials can fight against Trump, and win.

Donald Trump.

Reading that name every time it pops up on my Twitter, Facebook, or any social media news feed makes me sigh or roll my eyes in exasperation. What could he have possibly said or done this time that was more foolish than what he did last? But suddenly, I've grown tired of just being tired. It seems as though no one is doing anything to change what is happening in America. What I crave is action, revolt, a rise in rebellion. And who else has the perfect voice, but millennials? Millennials overpopulate all social media outlets and make up the majority of those seeking change against Trump. But do we know how to create change the right way?

First off, Donald Trump has little to no power when it comes to passing actual laws. Don't believe me? Well let me introduce you to this little thing called checks and balances.

I'm sure this takes many of you back to history class. As shown by the diagram, no laws can even be passed by the president unless previously approved by both bodies of Congress. Even if the president vetos against a bill, Congress can override this vote and pass the law themselves if 2/3 of both houses approve the bill. For example, many people express distaste at the fact that Trump doesn't pay taxes when this is in fact, legal. My history teacher owns 4 personal businesses and doesn't pay a single cent of tax for any of them. The way we can change and address issues like these is by fighting the laws ourselves, which we can do by going to our legislator. Contact the elected officials from your state to share your idea. Go to town halls, public meetings, write letters to local leaders. Making our voices heard is a big step in creating change.

Another thing we need to keep in mind is to never lose sight of our goals. Long or short term, maintaining goals is crucial to change. Often times people lose sight of their goals when faced with complications. I find that a way to keep on our goals and aspirations and not to lose sight of what you wish to accomplish is to write things down. What do you wish to accomplish in a week, a month, a year? Add dates that you expect your goals to be fulfilled by. Setting standards for yourself helps guarantee success. Start small, by setting up a meeting with a local representative or organizing a campaign plan for your beliefs. From there, possibilities are endless.

Protesting is a popular way to share your voice on hot button issues such as Donald Trumps presidency, and I encourage everyone to attend a protest of some sort once in their life. Not only does protesting draw media attention, therefore creating a platform for your cause, it also gives you a feel of a personal connection, too. Some of the people you encounter at protests tell amazing and heartbreaking stories about their life and how Trumps presidency has personally impacted their families and themselves. Seeing firsthand how people suffer under his impact made me feel even more passionate about my beliefs than I ever did before.

Another way to create change is to educate. Many of my friends say they aren't informed enough to be involved in politics. What I say to them is a quote by American author Lisa Borden, "If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention." Just during his presidency, Donald Trump has both fired and threatened the director of the FBI, ruined international cooperation on climate change, abandoned a long time Middle Eastern alliance (over Twitter), released a budget with a $2 trillion dollar math error, praised a news anchor who was fired for serial sexual harassment, issue the travel ban, approved the Dakota access pipeline (which has already started leaking before it has even been finished), nominated Scott Pruit as the Enviromental Protection Agency administrator (just a reminder, Scott Pruit doesn't believe Carbon Dioxide contributes to global warming) and the list goes on. What we need to do is educate friends and family of what Trump is doing to us. We need more people to be educated so that we can band together to fight for change. Stay informed and don't let others stay ignorant.

Lastly, the easiest way to create change is to sign a petition. Visit https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/ and browse or even create petitions to get your voice heard. It takes about 30 seconds and is a little contribution that can potentially go a long way.

If you aren't satisfied with the way things are going under Trumps presidency, it is none other than your own responsibility to take action and create a difference. Get involved, set goals, educate, protest, petition, make your voice heard! Together, we fight for change.