We Don't Need Another '13 Reasons'

We Don't Need Another '13 Reasons'

What was the reason for this?
18

So I'm not always quick to jump on the TV bandwagon whenever a new show comes out. But I needed something to watch on Netflix during the Spring TV hiatus. I found the show "13 Reasons Why" during a tornado warning and watched the whole season in a day. I liked the show because it was starting the conversations that we needed to have. The subjects of suicide, sexual assault, and bullying are all real things that are happening to adolescents today. I vouched for the show because I thought it was doing good instead of being just another TV show.

But then came season two.

I was really looking forward to the second season and after spending my whole Friday watching all thirteen episodes, I can say this: This season was absolute pure trash.

I never came down on a show but this current season didn't have a reason to continue this story. I know people are quick to defend something that people don't agree with you but we have to be real here. Half the time it's victim blaming the teenagers and the other half is them bullying or harassing their own. They learned nothing from their actions towards Hannah Baker and continue to act horribly to each other. The storylines contradict and discredit what happened in season one in an effort to have more depth for certain characters. There's no real justice for anyone and the bad guys are given a slap on the wrist instead of actual punishment. We understand that the bad guys get away with everything and anything but this show could've done a different narrative instead of making the audience feel like they're watching another story on the news.

Now the thing that has people talking is the infamous bathroom scene. I never saw it and never will see it because it is too graphic to watch. That led to the almost school shooting that had been foreshadowed since the end of season one and all through season two. The way they capped it off was not even realistic to life scenarios. I will say this, The subject should be addressed but the way the writers they went about it was abhorrent.

It should be pointed out that the show consulted with actual psychologists to go about creating this series and they themselves said that the show is not a helpful outlet and that is trigger filled and detrimental. They told Netflix not to go about the project as the message is being ignored for viewing. But they continued on with the show because they thought they had to bring awareness. They failed to get the message out and this season was just a grab for Netflix to get more money. The writers had a storyline in the first season but then they took all current day issues and collided it all into season two just to get responses. They fell into the category of shows that exploit the teen audience for ratings.

As someone who has gone through depression and bullying, the show left me feeling depressed and asking myself, "What was the point of this season? This show pretends to have a moral high ground and easily convinces young people that these are options to go on but they don’t know that they are doing the complete opposite. The conversations needed to be had, but we don't need another 13 reasons to have them and we're fine with it.