Why We Can't Let Heartbreak Consume Us

Why We Can't Let Heartbreak Consume Us

Every experience and every moment is a stepping stone towards getting past it

372
Why We Can't Let Heartbreak Consume Us
Tim Murphy Photography

Heartbreak.

We've all experienced it through our relationships or have seen someone else go through it. There are many stages of heartbreak and unfortunately, it's a difficult thing to get through, most of the time. Depending on the person, it may take months or years to get over someone you had such strong feelings for and each individual person handles it in their own way.

You can feel anger, be in denial, feel jealous, feel extreme sadness, or even just feel everything all at once.

You're allowed to feel all of these feelings. You're allowed to feel hurt, angry, jealous because that person moved on so quickly, or they're ignoring you, or whatever the situation may be. If you're going through heartbreak, just feel. Let all of those emotions be present because the more you bottle it in, the worse you will feel.

What else can you do?

Write about your heartbreak and everything you're feeling. Write it in your journal, write a song, blog about it. There's a reason why Taylor Swift is so successful. She uses her own personal experiences that so many people can relate to. Your words might not mean the same thing to someone else, but when another person reads what you've gone through, they can somehow use those words and relate it back to what they've experienced. Talk to someone! Don't be afraid to vent to a friend. Cry on their shoulder if you have to.

What not to do?

Don't look at your ex's social media. As much as you want to see how they're doing, you're just setting yourself up to get hurt all over again. Delete them off of Facebook, unfollow them from Snapchat and Instagram. Delete their number so you won't be tempted to text them or have to see their name in your phone. I've been there and I definitely don't want to see that person with someone and their pictures plastered on every platform possible.

There is a positive outcome of heartbreak.

You may think there isn't, but it's true. Believe it or not, you've become a stronger person because of it. You've learned something. You've learned about your ex, you've discovered yourself, and how to cope and manage your feelings. Once you step away from that part of your life, you will realize the negative aspects of the relationship that were clear warning signs and how next time you'll know what to look out for. You'll know what you want and how you should be treated.

Every experience and every moment is a stepping stone towards getting past it. Don't let heartbreak consume you.