We Are Young: Begin Your Journey With Him

He is guiding my journey and it hasn't looked better.
14

I am going to say it. Here I go.

I grew up going to church a couple times a month, every Holiday and praying at the dinner table each night. I learned to be a believer in Jesus Christ, but not necessarily for myself, I did it because I knew nothing else.

My first semester away at college, I did not go to church once. I was "too busy" getting to know my new life, new friends and new me. I was selfish. I truly figured out my passions and worked very hard to be the person I want to be, but deep down something was missing and it hurt. I had heard about youth groups and the specific college church sermons I could attend but did nothing about it.

Over Christmas break, I came home to see my family and went to Mass. Something in my heart was not right. I felt empty, alone, sad, scared, but the most hopeful I have felt in awhile.

The first week back at school I joined a youth connection group and went to a Thursday night sermon for college students and fell in love with my life and God in a whole new light. Sounds cheesy, but 100% true. What I was missing, was Him.

God had been speaking to me. For a semester, He was letting me live my life on my own to test my boundaries. I believe He wanted me to come to Him as an individual, young adult with prayers, hopes and dreams.

Keyword: alone

The Lord wanted me to come to Him because I was interested in growing my faith, not because of a practiced routine I learned growing up.

I hear young people just as I said, say, "it is just not my time with Jesus."

When living on our own, dealing with day in and out pressures, schooling, relationships and hundreds of other things, it can be difficult to stop and think about our lives now, in the present.

We think about....

What we are doing tomorrow.

If doing this extra paper will help our future.

What organizations and clubs will make us stand out.

How to get that kick butt internship.

What if I get a B instead of an A?

Is my life over because I didn't go to that party?

What are we not thinking about? Our lives in this very moment and He who created it. I constantly am thinking about how to be successful and what I need to do next. Learning to live my young life through Jesus, is teaching me to focus on how I can be a better person and Christian in my future and with that, success in a different light will come.

While continuing my journey with Jesus I have learned to pursue my love for writing and journaling. I got an inspirational journal over Christmas break and carry it with me in my purse, literally everywhere I go. I take notes in church, at my favorite coffee shops and mornings I am up a little extra early.

Journaling allows me to take personal time to reflect on the beauty that Christ has given me. I want to reflect on Bible verses each day to influence and give me reminders throughout my week of the work He has done.

We are young. Begin your journey with Him. You just have to make the time.

I think it is exhilarating. It is exhilarating living OUR lives the way we want to. You are in the driver's seat for the rest of your life. Jesus isn't going to show up at our door and say, "come to church." As millennials, we need to push each other to want to live by something greater than ourselves.

Sitting in church and surrounding myself with people who live their lives day to day and solely putting Jesus first, is inspiring. I think at this age, it is easy to be inspired. It is easy to want the happiness that others feel. I felt that and wanted it. I want Him to hear my prayers when I am alone and scared and want him to join my happiness when I feel ultimate joy. It is a journey and that is why he is leading it.

I get it, things come for people when they need it. But if you feel the itch to learn more about Christ, don't hesitate. He is waiting for your arrival.

Begin your journey with him. The journey is yours.