We are Americans, No Matter our Differences
Politics

9/11 is a day that we will never forget

16
http://onjacksonstreet.com/

There are many things only 90's kids will remember: good cartoons on Cartoon Network, eating ice cream with a wooden spoon in elementary, Blue's Clues with Steve, and September 11, 2001.

This is the first year in many schools that 9/11 will be taught in history class. The last class to remember 9/11 is now going into college or graduating high school, but even we do not remember the horror of that day. We couldn't comprehend it - we were children. For me, I remember 9/11 as a day when I couldn't watch scooby doo and mommy and daddy didn't laugh or smile. There was no play time, no walk down the driveway. I don't even think I went to school that day.

A day will come in the not so distant future, when we will be the last to remember 9/11. Then, those who remember this day in history will pass and 9/11 will be a memory, kept alive through stories and history texts just like World War I or the Civil War. But we cannot let the lessons we learned that day die with us.

There are many lessons one could mention, and a great many of them are negative. We learned that day that we were hated. That we were not invincible or beyond the reach of weapons.

But that day we also learned that even when race and language and religion divide us, we will come together in times of crisis. We are all Americans. We fight each other and we are far, far from a perfect nation. But, no matter our faults, we are all brothers and sisters and we have big hearts.

It's easy to look at the kayos in our American world and say we are a lost cause. We have two candidates no one likes running for president, shootings - police and otherwise - are rampant, our veterans lie forgotten on our sidewalks, and it's easy to get lost in despair.

It's time like these when we need to remember that day fifteen years ago. Remember that though we have our issues we are one country, one nation founded on a belief in freedom. And we need to work as one to fix the problems we have.

These problems will not be solved in a single day, or even a single decade. But they will never be solved if we do not look for the good in each other, and remember that which unites us.

9/11 will forever be a day that haunts our history, and that should never change. We as a nation promised to never forget that Tuesday morning. We promised to never forget the injustice nor the lives lost when the towers fell. But there are other things about that day that we should never forget.

How we came together to help. How first responders and bystanders gave the ultimate sacrifice to save others. How we set aside those things that divide us and came together as one nation, one people.

How we as a nation put aside our differences to help heal the hurt.

We are a nation that welcomes people of different ideals, nationalities, and religions. We come from different backgrounds and we speak different languages. But when it is so easy to see that which divides us, we must look for that which unites us.

Because we are all Americans, and as Americans we remember that day fifteen years ago and we morn. And as Americans, we healed, and now we must heal again.