We Are All American

We Are All American

Why you need to remember that the country is not perfect.

4
We Are All American
Rebecca Beaulieu

Nothing says "American" quite like barbecues, fireworks and people covered head to toe in red, white and blue. But in times of celebration, people can sometimes forget what the United States was founded on-both the good and the bad.

Native American artifacts have been found in the United States dating back to 8000 BCE. The notion of the United States did not come to be until well after European explorers established colonies. Well after colonies became permanent, colonists decided that it was time to break from Britain because they were being taxed without representation in the British Parliament. On July 4, 1776 the Declaration of Independence was signed; the colonies began the journey to become their own self-governing nation. The historic event began a string of history that is heavily studied and taught in schools around the globe. The American Revolution was a victory for the colonists, the Constitution got drafted, and states were admitted to the Union one by one. This became marked as the beginning of the United States.

However, people must remember that the European explorers did not "discover" the United States. They opened it up to the rest of the world in a way it was not open before, and initiated the making of colonies. The first settlers were at fault for thinking the Native Americans inferior to themselves; the nation went so far as to write legislation limiting indigenous people to reservations. People like Christopher Columbus were cruel to the native people and claimed the land for themselves. While the United States was founded on freedom that did not exist in Europe, it enslaved a whole race and pushed native people away. The new world was free for influential white men. The foundation of this country was not all good and people should remember and acknowledge that when they are celebrating independence day.

While it may not be worth dwelling on the past, history has to acknowledge every side of the story.

Since the Constitution was written, the United States has made progress on so many fronts; that progress should be celebrated. Since then, slavery has been abolished, women have gained the right to vote, civil rights have progressed, and same-sex marriage has become legal. Inventions have been made, skyscrapers built and excavations conducted. There is still plenty of progress to be made, lives that can be made better, and systems that can improve.

The Fourth of July is a time to remember the veterans and the people fighting wars across seas in an effort to keep this country free. While the reasons for violence may not be agreed upon, we can all agree that we should take care of those who put themselves in danger and honor the sacrifice they make to do what they believe is right.

The Fourth of July is a time to remember all the immigrants and refugees that came to the United States seeking a better life. This country is what it is because of the diversity and freedom that the country shows. This is a time to acknowledge that immigrants made up this country and are an important part of it; it is a time to belittle prejudice and celebrate diversity because the United States are a place where people from all over the world have chosen to live, and where families have been raised in all the hopes and dreams that can only be described as "American."

The Fourth of July is also a time to reach out to all those who are oppressed and stand in solidarity with them. This country is by no means perfect and we all must stand together to fight for the people whose voices are drowned out in the sea of people. We must stand together to curb racial prejudice, eliminate unnecessary police violence, close the wage gap and make the country a safer place for our LGBTQ+ family. As great a nation as this may seem, everyone faces challenges in their day to day life. There is still great potential to become a safer, friendlier, and better nation.

So enjoy the barbecues, the fireworks and the celebrations. Basque in an extra day off from work and tip the people who work hard to give you that time. If you're working, celebrate with the people who come to you for their enjoyment. Take a little time to be with friends and family, and think about what "American" means to you. Don't get angry at the people who don't want to celebrate, and don't get angry at the people who do want to celebrate. The freedom we have in the United States allows us to have opinions and choose to celebrate or stay home. Just remember while you're doing whatever it is you do in the days surrounding the Fourth of July; we are all American.