Harsh Realities Of Syllabus Week

West Chester University's Syllabus Week Expectations Vs. Reality

Don't believe everything you hear about syllabus week...

146

The long-awaited Syllabus week is finally almost upon us. You've heard the crazy stories but how true are they really? Find out for yourself:

Going Out

Expectation:

A crazy party every single night, lots of drinking, not a care in the world.

Reality:

The reality is that you're probably not going to end up at a crazy party every night. Yeah, you might end up at 1 or 2 for the week (or weekend) but in reality, you might just end up watching your favorite Netflix show a lot.

Homework

Expectation:

No homework whatsoever the whole entire week!

Reality:

I hate to break it to ya but I'm going on my 4th year here and I've been given homework for pretty much every class at some point during syllabus week. Homework really does exist during syllabus week.

Class

Expectation:

Getting out early every class, even if it's a long class.

Reality:

Yes, for the 50-minute classes you will usually get out early if all your professor has planned is going over the syllabus or over housekeeping type stuff, I'll give you that. In reality, for those longer classes, your professor won't want to waste the period so you'll probably end up doing classwork at some point in the week.

Hanging out with friends

Expectation:

Catching up with all your friends you haven't seen all summer, getting dinner with them every night, going to all those "crazy" parties together.

Reality:

Your friends will probably end up being just as busy as you are with class, homework, and outside work that it might take a couple of weeks to catch up completely with everyone.

Relaxing

Expectation:

Not such a hard week, kind of easing into your semester.

Reality:

You're probably gonna get thrown right into it so get ready!