Ways to Stay Safe During Protests

Ways to Stay Safe During Protests

Don't forget your social distance!

13
Ways to Stay Safe During Protests

Whenever I turn on the news or go on social media, I see a bunch of posts about people protesting and trying to lend their voice for a greater cause. I am extremely grateful that there are so many people who are enthusiastic about changing history and the present, but I do get worried sometimes if they are "safe" out there. When I say the word "safe," I mean are these people not passing out in the heat or are they not getting injured? I know protests can be quite tough, especially in the warmer weather such as the summer or spring. I believe health comes first and people should have to be healthy enough to go out there and protest. It is obvious that someone who is very sick with coronavirus or a cold won't go out there to protest. Therefore, I'm curious as to how much they are taking care of themselves and making sure that their health comes first, especially when doing something as draining and energy absorbing such as protests.

When I see protestors that are on the floor and giving their all to a certain cause, for example George Floyd and Black Lives Matter in this case, I see motivation, courage, and the spirit of breaking free. But it's also important to break free from any hazards or unsafe things that may be in the way. For example, if it is way too hot outside and there is a high risk of heat stroke, then it may be best to take more precaution. The weather can get pretty dysfunctional in the summer with some days being much more hotter than usual. If there isn't enough caution taken towards this, it may be more likely to pass out in the middle of the protest. Especially since protests and marches can get quite crowded, it can be more easier to pass out from lack of space or discomfort. If there are too many safety hazards in the way, it may affect people's capability to protest to their content. We don't want protestors to lack their spirit and not be able to do their work properly, especially if it is something they had a very strong passion for. Here are some ways to stay safe during protests:

Wear Sunscreen- Protests can take a long time and it may be easier to get burnt easily in the summer. Therefore, it is important to make sure to bring necessary material to make sure there is less of a chance to be sunburnt. Better to be turnt for the protest than to be burnt!

Try to Maintain a Certain Distance From Others- Just because there is another issue on the rise, doesn't mean that the COVID-19 pandemic is over. It can still be easy to catch the virus from large crowds among protests. It's true that it is hard to keep personal space during protests but it is important to maintain at least a bit of space so that there aren't any injuries or accidents happening. Trying to keep at least a half arm length between other people would come in handy. Before going to the protest event, you can use a ruler to measure how much space you want to keep from other people.

Avoid Fights and Dangerous Confrontations- Fights can easily happen during protests, especially if there are some people who have closeted opposing thoughts. These people may have kept these opinions hidden from the beginning to fit in with the rest of the protestors.

Although it is important to fight for a good cause, safety should always be one of the key things on our minds. We don't know what can happen to us while we are out there and so it is important to be alert and attentive to the possibilities..