18 Little Changes You Can Make To Help The Environment

We can't all save every part of the world, but we can all do little things to help save one part.

122
forrest

Improving the environment is becoming more and more of a hot topic, and in my opinion, that's a good thing! There are so many little ways that each of us can be working to help make the earth a cleaner, healthier place to live, and these are just a few of them.

It's up to us to keep the earth as healthy and viable as possible for as long as possible, and if every person changes even just one wasteful habit into an environmentally conscious one, it could have a huge impact! Check out these 18 cool little changes YOU can make to help the environment that you may not have ever even thought about!

1. Recycle. 

This might seem like a given, but a lot of people overlook it, or think that there is only one "right" way to recycle. You can recycle in your own home just by reusing plastic shopping bags or putting leftovers in empty containers instead of throwing them away.

2. Take shorter showers. 

This one is particularly difficult for me, because I'm a big fan of a nice long shower, but it is a fact that taking shorter showers saves energy and water.

3. Turn the water off while you are brushing your teeth. 

I see people forget to do this all the time, and it is soooo frustrating. If you're not using the water, it only takes an extra second or two to turn it off while you brush and turn it back on to rinse your brush.

4. TURN THE LIGHTS OFF IN ROOMS YOU AREN'T IN. 

It drives me absolutely bananas when I notice that someone has a habit of leaving every light in their house on at all times. Not only is it bad for the environment, but using all of that electricity costs money? Do you guys not pay a power bill every month?

5. Invest in reusable shopping bags. 

More and more stores are starting to sell reusable shopping bags for only a dollar or two apiece, and they're so useful! Not only are they good for the environment, but they can hold way more stuff than a normal plastic shopping bag, and they can be used to carry more than just groceries! However, if you insist on using the plastic bags the store has for free, save them up and reuse them after you unload your groceries!

6. Carpool and/or take advantage of public transportation. 

It just makes so much more sense to take one vehicle somewhere instead of multiple vehicles, both environmentally and economically. Plus, riding with other people can be fun if you let it! If you live in a bigger city, take advantage of public buses or subway systems when you can!

7. If where you're going is within walking distance, walk! 

Not only is walking loads better for planet earth, but it has tons of health benefits for you too! If the place you're going is a mile away or less, you can (most likely) afford to walk that far.

8. Reduce your meat consumption. 

I understand that asking people to stop eating meat is totally irrational. Even I could never stop consuming meat altogether. However, making a meaningful effort to reduce the amount of meat you eat, such as participating in a "meatless Monday" (or whatever day of the week you prefer) can have a big positive impact on the environment! If you don't think you can do a whole day without meat, start small and try having a specific meal, like lunch, with no meat, and work your way up to a whole day!

9. Use reusable/refillable containers. 

Single use containers are the absolute WORST for the environment. Invest in a reusable water bottle and some cute reusable food containers, and feel good knowing how much trash you're helping eliminate by reusing.

10. Buy from brands and companies that are eco-friendly. 

When you purchase from companies that strive to help the environment, you are also helping in turn by supporting their cause. Plus, you get to shop! For a list of some of my favorite eco-friendly companies, check out my previous article, 14 Companies That Are Helping Save The Planet

11. Shop from thrift stores. 

Buying clothes from thrift stores when you can help cut down on waste from mass-produced clothing in big chain stores, as well as the (often plastic) waste that goes into shipping it from manufacturer to store. Plus, thrifting is super fun and gives you the opportunity to find unique vintage clothes. If you're more of an online shopper, online thrift stores are becoming more and more popular as well, and there are dozens of Instagram thrift shops popping up every day that do all of the searchings for you; all you have to do is purchase!

12. Don't litter, and pick up any trash you see. 

This might seem like a given, but littering is AWFUL for the earth. Take the extra two minutes to walk to a trash can, and pick up trash off the ground when you see it.

13. Use cold water for your laundry. 

This may not always be possible, but it's definitely worth doing when you can. Using cold water saves the energy it takes to heat up the water, and it can even be good for your clothes in some cases! It can help keep them from shrinking and fading! Unless your clothes require hot water, or whatever you're washing needs the disinfecting that hot water provides, skip the heat and use cold water instead!

14. Avoid rinsing your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. 

When you do this, you're basically using twice as much water as you need to. If it isn't an absolute necessity to rinse a dish first, just put it in the dishwasher and let the dishwasher do the work without wasting as much water.

15. Get the most out of your paper. 

When you use a sheet of paper, make sure you use the whole sheet! Stop wasting paper by only using one side or by using a whole sheet to write only a sentence or two! A good alternative to using tons of paper, especially if you're a student, is to take notes on your phone or laptop.

16. Stop using plastic straws. 

This goes back to the wastefulness of single-use items. Invest in a glass or stainless steel straw, and take it with you everywhere. They even make them you can put on your keychain for easy transport!

17. Turn off electronics when you're not using them. 

A lot of us have a habit of putting our computers to sleep instead of completely turning them off, but turning it off completely not only helps the environment but it helps the battery life of your computer as well! And if you're one of those people that needs the sound of your television to fall asleep, a lot of them have energy-saving modes that will turn them off after so many hours of inactivity, so you can fall asleep to the sound but it won't stay on all night long!

18. Encourage your friends to make smarter environmental choices, too! 

Don't let it just be you! If you teach your friends new habits to improve the environment and they adopt even just one or two of them into their own lives, the positive environmental impact will keep spreading!