5 Ways To Keep Your Relationship Alive

5 Ways To Keep Your Relationship Alive

The three-year itch can be a thing.

6
5 Ways To Keep Your Relationship Alive
Nicole Giordano

We all know what love feels like. You know what kind of love I’m talking about. That feeling you get when your cheeks are sore from smiling so much and you make all these plans for your summer breaks and weekends. That floating, on-top-of-the-world feeling you get when they kiss you goodnight. That belly-flopping, butterflies-fluttering feeling your stomach gets when they tell you how great you look. That love that takes over every thought we have.

We all love that love. That love leads to dating and then falling deeper in love, but then one day you don’t smile so hard and you don’t laugh so much. Not because you don’t love that person anymore, but because you got comfortable. You got comfortable being with the same person for so long that you feel like you don’t need to try anymore. But you do.

People who are in relationships for a long period of time go through phases. When we do, sometimes we forget about the things that made you fall in love in the first place. If you love the person you’re with, make the effort. Keep your feelings alive for both of you. Even the simplest things can help; things we wouldn’t think make a difference, but do. Here are some of them.

Be sure to support your partner.

No matter what it is -- if they got a promotion at work, tell them how awesome that is. If they’re having trouble deciding how to handle a situation, reassure them that you know that no matter what the choice is, it’ll be OK and you’ll be there either way. If they had a crappy day, tell them how great their smile is and how badly you want to see it. It’s important to make your partner feel loved when they can’t do it themselves.

Be sure to support yourself.

Of course your partner will be there for you, but don’t give up on yourself. Be your own cheerleader. If you want to get in shape, go for a run. If you want to finish a course with an A, then go study. If you want to travel the world and save people, buy a plane ticket and go do it. Just because you’re in a relationship doesn’t mean your individual needs don’t mean as much. Be confident and proud so that your partner can be proud of you as well.

Remember to laugh.

That seems silly, but it’s true. Sometimes we get lost in the serious questions that come with long term relationships, like, Where is this going? Or you’re stressed at work or school, so you take it out on your partner. Your partner is your backboard, not your punching bag. Don’t be so serious. Make jokes and tell funny stores. Laugh with your partner, and I mean the peeing-your-pants laugh, because those are the best.

Don’t forget the little things.

It’s not about buying materialistic gifts all the time, but if your partner is having a bad day or you just want to see them smile, do something that will surprise them. Make them dinner. Write them a letter and mail it to them. Remember that time you guys went to go see that movie on date night and how funny it was? Rent it and have movie night. Hear their favorite song on the radio? Take a video of it and send it to them to let them know you’re thinking of them. It’s not about huge, romantic, scream-off-the-rooftop gestures. It’s also not about the expensive earrings or the three dozen roses. It’s about the little things that make your partner happy; remind them that you don’t forget about them.

Lastly, don’t forget to flirt.

This is the silliest, but one of the most important. Dating for two years means coming home from a long day of work, throwing on sweats and vegging out in front of the TV. Even when they're in their lazy look, tell them how hot they look. Just because you’re comfortable doesn’t mean you can’t tell your partner how sexy they look in that new outfit, or how that new lipstick makes her beautiful smile pop out even more, or how that new button-up looks so handsome on him. Make your partner feel special, like, after all this time, he/she is still who you would pick out in any room.

I know what you’re thinking -- and you’re right; I am not a relationship expert and I know every relationship is different. I’m also not saying that it isn’t good to be comfortable with your partner; the best kind of relationship is when you can be yourself with someone else. But these are simple things that every couple should do to keep the butterflies alive. So if you’re already doing them, great -- you’re already one step ahead. But if you aren’t, try it out. Like Carrie Bradshaw would say, what’s a love without the “zsa zsa zsu?"