10 Ways To Keep Hygge In The Warmer Months

Just because it is summer doesn't mean you can't be comfy and practice self-care.

846

If you don't know what Hygge is, check out this article that explains what it is and what you can do to practice Hygge. Hygge is basically the Scandinavian way-of-life that practices self-care. It is a great way to get rid of those Winter blues.

Because Scandinavia is so cold, Hygge is mostly associated with the cold weather and keeping warm and comfortable during the harsh season. However, if you live in a temperate environment and it is just starting to get warmer out, and the days longer, you may find yourself missing that Hygge life of wrapping yourself in a big, cozy blanket in your pjs and drinking a large mug of tea.

Fear not! You can definitely keep Hygge in the warmer months! Here are a few suggestions to keep yourself comfy and happy for the other half of the year!

1. Immerse yourself in nature

skitterphoto.com

Nature is one of the key components of Hygge. It is especially important in the Winter when most of the greenery and flowers are dead, but it is still just as important in the Spring and Summer! Now is the perfect time to head to your local nursery and pick out some house plants. Check out this article for some suggestions on what the best houseplant is for you, and the different perks they bring! Or you could start your own garden and plant your own bright flowers!

Go for a walk or a hike. Put away your phone and really take a breath of that fresh air. Take your time to walk slowly, extend your hand out and let your fingers connect to nature (as long as it's not poison ivy or oak!) Hygge is all about reflecting and feeling at peace. Even sitting outside in your yard or porch can help put your mind at ease.

2. Linens and light cottons

www.kaboompics.com

There is nothing better than wrapping yourself up like a Chipotle burrito in the Winter in a plush blanket. But in the summer, that could definitely lead to some serious night-sweats. Instead, switch out your thick blankets for those made of linen or cotton. These are breathable materials, and plus, they're super soft!

3. Soak up that vitamin D!

images.unsplash.com

With the days getting longer, there's more time to do so much! Who wants to spend their days inside when it's so beautiful out? No one! So head on outside and enjoy!

More daylight also helps boost your mood. One of the struggles of the Winter is that the days are so short and even during the daytime, there isn't much sun. You can probably feel yourself in a low mood like you are stuck in a permanent gray area. Lots of people have SAD Lamps that create artificial light that replicates the sun. But now you can have the sunshine for more hours! Yay!

4. "Hey there Boo-Boo, let's go steal that man's pic-a-nic basket!"

images.unsplash.com

Have a picnic! Hygge is all about food as much as it is about spending time with your friends! Pack up some sandwiches and some fresh-squeezed lemonade and juicy watermelon and go enjoy the beautiful spring and summer days.

5.  Stick your toes in the sand

images.unsplash.com

If you're not much for a field, or if you have bad allergies, you could always head to the beach! Sunbathe (remember your sunscreen!), collect shells, or cool off in the water.

6. Pull a Marie Kondo

media0.giphy.com

While you're packing away your heavy wool sweaters and sweats, go through your wardrobe and declutter. What you don't wear anymore, or have never worn, to begin with. Donate the clothes that are still in good shape and pack away the rest of your Winter clothes for the summer. Looking at a decluttered closet can be so comforting. Plus, now you have room to buy more cute summer clothes!

7. Do some Yoga

images.unsplash.com

Yoga and meditation is great for both the body and mind. Find a space inside or outside and strike a pose. Make yourself comfortable and do some breathing exercises to clear your mind. To Hygge is to relax, and you should always take at least 2 hours out of your day to do just that. Sometimes the best thing to do is to just do nothing.

8. Add some color into your life

img.geniuscoloringkids.com

We often associate the Fall/Winter with warm, dark colors and Spring/Summer with cool, bright colors. Pop in some color to your wardrobe. Perhaps you may find yourself a new favorite color to wear that you may have never thought you'd wear yourself. This season, mine is yellow!

9. Light some candles

www.kaboompics.com

Creating an ambiance in a room by lighting candles creates a peaceful mood about the room. However, lighting candles don't always have to be associated with the colder months. There are, of course, candles brought out seasonally for the spring and summer. These scents include those from nature, or from food and drinks. Filling your house with fresh scents, or even the scent of your favorite fruit or flower can help create a relaxing space. Lavender is great for stress relief and my personal favorite, the Capri Blue Volcano candle is appropriate all year round.

10. And again, do what you love!

www.kaboompics.com

Overall, Hygge is about enjoying life. Take some time out of your day to step back and take everything in and enjoy it. Do the things you love to do, but may not always have time for. Read the book that has been sitting on your shelf for months, paint, sketch, or write.

The Scandinavians are not referred to as some of the happiest people in the world, and that is because they live their lives according to Hygge. It is the perfect, inexpensive way to live life gracefully and happily.