Ways To Hit The 'Reset' Button During The Week.

Fast-breaks to relaxtion before your weekend.

19

If your lifestyle is anything like mine, the weekends are no longer this wildly anticipated 2-day event, but more-so brief moments of debriefing. I mean, working Monday-Friday is ideal, but working weekends included is more than a notion. Yet, somehow, it's many of our notions correct? Correct! So how in the heck does one find rest when their weekend is sealed air-tight with obligation? Why, I'm glad you asked.

The weekend is whenever you need it to be!

May you know this truth, love this truth and guard it with your life. The two days we pant for by Wednesday are just that... 48 out of a 168 hours week. However, the feelings of rejuvenation, space, and control that we often associate with these 48 hours are accessible whenever you need them. There is an entirety of 120 hours left to be utilized for these purposes. Just because there are obligations to be handled doesn't necessarily mean that you have to feel obligated while doing such.

As a newly full-time news reporter, I haven't quite yet mastered the idea of shutting the reporter in me off. I'm not sure if it's because of my field and how relevant it is (being that 'news' is always being made) or if it's my dedication to succeed, but what I do know is that I eat, sleep, breathe and shower work which is just downright UNHEALTHY.

Unhealthy in so many areas, because physically it shows signs of exhaustion whereas spiritually it shows signs of drainage and mentally, (of course as you probably guessed) restlessness...all symptoms that I can do without. Which is why I decided to treat myself do some well-needed rest... daily! I mean sadly, it only took about 2 almost breakdowns later, but I'm here! I recently noticed that in several conversations with my parents I often say "I cannot wait for the weekend... so I can rest".

How PATHETIC, right? I mean on average as millennials, we consume a large amount of information on the daily. We spend so much energy that it is impossible to fully rest in 48 hours.As a result of this failure we often feel as tired if not more than we did when we first attempted to settle down.

Blame it on the ambition of the culture, or blame it on capitalism... whatever you decide! I know that my life isn't slowing down one bit and I, for one, wouldn't ask it to. I'm making BIG moves and my ambition is needed but it doesn't negate my need and overall desire for rest.

So, a two for one special is what I've been creating for myself. Both rest and work in the same week, because as of right now I cannot afford to neglect one for the other. In reference to the original statement

"The weekend is whenever you need it to be" mine typically comes around Wednesday. It's something about Hump-day that leaves me feeling tired, so what I try to do is implement the productive activities I'd do throughout my weekend.

As well as switch-up my routines as much as possible... which is a BIG help in regards to not feeling 'obligated' while handling my obligations. Music is a big part of this routine switch-up! I try to create a playlist for every mood I'm in, which nicely counteracts the 'off' ruts that I often experience mid-week.

I also try to balance my time of 'lounging' and 'proactively lounging'. What's the difference you might ask? Well, in my personal life I LIVE for binge-watching my television series especially specific ones such as: any show created by Shonda Rhimes, "Jane the Virgin" (don't knock it, till you try it!) and many more.

Now, although binge-watching is relaxing, it definitely has its cut off point with me, because similar to social media after too much intake my brain decides to SHUT OFF and that in itself sends signals that can be confused with hibernation. I probably should have prefaced that my lounging time is often limited, hibernation is NOT an option, so when I feel I am too tired to lounge and return to work, I often take a fast-break to read, go for a walk and etc. Anything that will relax yet still stimulate my mind.

Remember, just because there are obligations to be handled doesn't necessarily mean that you have to feel obligated while doing such. So start, treating yourself daily!