5 Easy Ways To Relieve Stress During Finals Week

How to remain calm during the intensity of exams
557

Preparing for finals can be a very stressful time. Days spent with your nose buried between thick textbooks and immense notes. With all the studying it's important to remember to take time to relax and recharge that brain. Here are five easy ways to take your mind off school and ease some of that stress.

1. Go outside.

Fresh air is underrated. During finals week many people tend to spend hours and hours at the library or in their bedroom studying. But it's important to get out. It's Spring-- birds are out, trees are full, it's finally WARM. Go take advantage of it. Put your books down for an hour and go enjoy the nice day. Tan, run, throw a football, whatever; just take your mind of school and get some fresh air, it'll do you wonders.

2. Sleep.

During finals week a lot of students like to pull "all nighters". They stay up all night studying, functioning purely on Adderall and coffee. But doing this will just wear you down and is not the proper way to retain information. Rather than sauntering through your studies like a zombie, get your REST. Study during the day or in the evening, not at 3 AM. A full night's rest will make studying much easier and much more efficient. It'll help you retain the information better and leave you better prepared for your exams.

3. Read a book.

Here's a dual threat. You get to relax and keep your mind sharp. Find a good book--fiction, non-fiction, whatever, and just enjoy. You can immerse yourself in the story and forget all about your exams for the time being. But while doing so you're still using that brain of yours, keeping your mindset... intellectual. It's a nice way to take a break from studying without totally shutting off your wits.

4. Grab a bite to eat.

Go to a restaurant with friends. Take your mind off your exams with some good food and maybe a few beverages (if you're 21 or older of course). A nice meal and night out with your friends could give you that second wind you desperately needed. A much-needed rejuvenation for when you get back to your intense study sessions.

5. Watch TV.

For many people, they'd rather just keep studying than to read a book. A lot of people don't even own any books that they could just read for pleasure. And although it may not be as thought provoking as reading a book, watching TV can be a good way to relax from studying as well. Now I'm not saying to binge an entire season of The Office on Netflix, but a few episodes here and there won't hurt. Studying can be a long and tedious task, watching some television can bring much needed entertainment into a rather dull and demanding schedule.