18 Ways To Make 2018 A Happier Year

18 Ways To Make 2018 A Happier Year

2018 will be the year of happier and healthier days!

132
18 Ways To Make 2018 A Happier Year

Every year many of us make New Year's Resolutions, some of us do really well with them, some of us find a happy medium after a while, and others have trouble following through. As great as resolutions can be, they're not very effective because it is usually something very hard for us. Instead for 2018 with the climate of the world right now, let us focus on being happier and having a healthier body, mind, and spirit! Here are some tips to getting to a happier year started:

1. Drink more water.

Being hydrated helps you feel more alert, energized, and healthy overall. When you do not drink enough water your lips get chapped, your skin gets dry, and you can get cramps all over your body. It is recommended by doctor's to drink half your weight in ounces. If you are 150 lbs that is 75 oz of water which is roughly 5 standard bottles of water or 10 cups!

2. Take more walks and go on more hikes.

Not only are these activities a good way to exercise and have been found to improve blood pressure and sugar levels, increase bone density, build body wide strength, improve balance, and control weight but research by Gregory A. Miller (Ph.D.) also found that it has a "positive impact on combating symptoms of stress and anxiety". I think people forget that we once lived in harmony with nature and it was not all that long ago. It is in our DNA to enjoy the outdoors, just as long as we are prepared for it. (Bring Bug Spray, sunscreen, water, and small snacks like nuts and fruit.)

3. Delete negative people from social media and limit time spent on it.

There are always those people you are friends with or follow on social media who post stuff that make your eyes roll back into your head or are always angry and sad. Seeing posts from these people will not destroy your day but will start to unravel any happiness you have built up. Don't let others negative energy bring you down. Delete or unfollow those people and try to spend less time on social media. Almost no one checks social media and feels happier after.

4. Make a reasonable budget to avoid low account balances.

I am not saying cut out all your spending, but create ways to better monitor your spending such as setting up your online bank account to notify you when you spend money so you can notice it more. Keep a simple excel budget document in your google drive and have the app on your phone. You can keep track of your spending this way and help yourself to save up more money to pay of bills so you don't have to panic when you swipe your debit card the day before payday.

5. Eat breakfast.

You do not need to eat a full course meal or omelet every morning, but just putting something in your stomach will help you feel less grumpy. Certain foods like banana peanut butter toast, whole wheat bagels, and acai bowls are all great options to keep you full until lunch.

6. Wake up earlier than you need to so your day doesn't start rushed.

This is something I think a lot of people need to put some work into, I know most people are rushing out of their house in the morning to be on time to work and school. If you wake up 30 minutes or an hour early you can get ready at a more leisurely pace, listen to music or read, and have time to make breakfast and a coffee or a tea so you can save money instead of stopping somewhere on your way to work.

7. Go to bed earlier at night.

In order to wake up earlier and not be tired you also need to go to bed earlier. This is hard to do because if you get used to going to bed at a certain time you usually will find things to do until that time even if you want to go to bed earlier. Set reminders on your phone to get certain things done sooner like, preparing clothes for the next day, brushing teeth, and washing your face. The sooner you get your tasks done the easier it will be to go to bed early.

8. Step out of your comfort zone and go out more.

Instead of making plans once in awhile and canceling at any chance possible, make plans with friends and family more. Get out of the house and out of your comfort zone, the more obscure and out of your comfort zone you get the more fun you will have and the more memories you will make.

9. Read one book a month.

Reading is good for you! If you do not like reading it is likely you have not found a good book for you. Go to a bookstore like Barnes and Nobles and ask them for suggestions based on your hobbies and interests. For example I love traveling and hiking so I usually read books about distance hiking and adventures. Spend a little time before you fall asleep every night reading a little bit and it will also help you get to bed earlier because unlike looking at your phone's blue lighting, a book will not keep you up (Unless it is really good, which in that case just keep reading!).

10. Download an app that sends you inspirational quotes!

There are many apps like Daily Quote - Quote of the Day and Motivation Quotes that you can have to send you quotes every day to help you maintain a positive frame of mind!

11. Eat cleaner!

I write this while I am eating cheese balls, so learn from me (also it's not 2018 yet)... But eating cleaner will make you feel so much better. Try to eat foods like fruit, vegetables, grilled meats, fish, nuts, yogurt, and peanut butter.

12. Go to the gym, and not just to lose weight.

There are many reasons to work out, not just to lose weight! Going to the gym can help you maintain your weight, build strength and endurance, relieve stress, and keep your body healthy. Especially as you move into your 20's it is important to understand that your metabolism does not work the way it used to, and our bodies need more support than they used to.

13. Cut your hair.

Cutting your hair will literally take some of the weight off your shoulders, your hair will feel healthy and the new look will help you feel fresh and excited. If you don't like it it is not the end of the world because it always grows back. If you're nervous to cut it a lot, do it in increments first! Short hair takes a lot less time to style and blow dry saving you some valuable time in the winter and will not get caught in zippers and car doors as much.

14. De-clutter.

In a country where we all have far more than we need it is important to declutter every once in a while. If you are on winter break now is the perfect time to do it as well because you do not have many other responsibilities to worry about. If you haven't worn something in the last 6 months you probably won't wear it in the next 6 months.

15. Clean your car and room regularly.

A dirty car can really kill your vibe when someone new comes for a ride and you can already imagine what they are thinking, same thing for when you have new friends over to your room or your dorm room. Try to keep them clean by vacuuming, dusting, and sanitizing on the reg. It also helps if things have a correct home and are put there instead of on the floor. Remember to wash your sheets, pillowcases, and bedding frequently too because not only can it get a nasty build up but that build up can cause acne too!

16. Find new music more frequently.

It seemed like in high school I had all the time in the world to find new music and now I've been listening to the same songs all semester that I found over the summer. I still jam to Feels by Calvin Harris but I do need some new songs.

17. Drink more tea.

Tea has many health benefits and is delicious! Hot tea is relaxing and soothing, and iced tea is a great drink to wake you up in the morning. Green tea is one of the healthiest ones and it is very tasty too.

18. Take more trips.

Whether they are day trips, a weekend away, or a whole-week vacation and adventures are the best way to let your stress go and enjoy your life. We do not just live to pay bills and die, we should be able to enjoy and celebrate life. So take a trip, get a cup of tea, and listen to some new music while you rock your new haircut.