Use These 6 Ways To Kill Time At The Airport

Flying For Spring Break? Use These 6 Ways To Kill Time At The Airport

Make the most out of your airport wait time.

38

Spring break is right around the corner. If you're heading out for this much-needed break, you may be stuck at the airport for a few hours — or half a day. Flight delays and long layovers may leave you with a lot of time on your hands at the airport.

What do you do with that time? Do you twiddle your thumbs or maximize this opportunity to be creative, laugh or be productive? Here's how to make the most out of your airport wait time.

1. Call a friend or loved one

Chat with a friend or a loved one while waiting for your flight. You have some time on your hands, so catch up with someone you haven't spoken to in a while. Maybe you haven't spoken to your parents or your grandmother in a while. Now is a good time to check in and see how they're doing.

2. Make friends

Airports are great places to meet new and interesting people. Talk to those around you, and make some new friends.

You may be surprised how many people will be receptive to talking. Many people who are waiting for their flights are anxious or stressed, so they'll be happy for the distraction.

If you struggle with meeting new people and making new friends, the airport is also a great place to improve your social skills. After all, you'll probably never see any of these people again.

3. Shop around

Airports usually have a great selection of stores — including luxury stores. Yes, airport shopping is expensive, but you never know what you'll find. Buy a souvenir for a friend, or purchase a gift for someone you plan to see during your trip.

Even if you don't have the budget to go shopping, you can window shop to pass some time.

4. Watch movies

One of the best ways to pass the time at the airport is to watch movies. Two or three movies can easily get you through a four-hour layover.

Some airports, like the Portland International Airport, actually play free movies. If you can't find free movies, you can watch them on your laptop or phone if you have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime or another streaming service. Apps like ShowBox allow you to watch movies and TV shows for free.

An airport layover is the perfect time to binge watch your favorite TV show. You probably don't have enough time to go anywhere else, so why not settle in and watch some good TV.

5. Plan your next trip

If you want to be productive during your airport stay, why not plan your next trip? Brainstorm some locations, possible hotels and things to do at each location. You can even create a rough budget for the trip and plan your itinerary.

If you don't have a plan for your current trip, you can take this time to make one. Plan one or two activities for each day, and leave some time for spontaneous activities.

6. Work on a side project

Do you have a side project? If so, you can take this time to get some work done, whether it's planning, administrative tasks or answering emails.