7 Ways To Be Happy

7 Ways To Be Happy

Ever feel down in the dumps? Here are seven ideas that will help you feel better in no time!

12
7 Ways To Be Happy
Matej Paluh

For anyone who knows me in real life, I'm optimistic. Almost annoyingly optimistic. I can spin the most negative things into something positive. But even an eternal optimist like me can feel down sometimes, and when you're feeling sad, it's especially hard to pick yourself back up and keep going. But these 7 things make me especially happy and can brighten even my darkest days, so here are 7 great ways to perk yourself up:

1. Treat Yourself

Buying something new always makes me feel a lot better. It could be something little like a new T-shirt or something random like a bubble blower, but anything helps. Treating yourself is what I like to call 'Retail therapy'. Without a doubt, it can make you feel much better knowing that you have something new.

2. Get some sun or go to red light therapy

Rainy days for weeks on end are psychologically proven to make you feel sadder, so if there is ever a day when the sun is shining, get outside and soak up some Vitamin D! Another alternative to this would be red light therapy, which has similar effects to getting outside in the sun. Red light therapy is ideal for winters in cold places, where the sun is scarce. Look around your area to see if there is ever an ability to have red light therapy, as it's a great way to rejuvenate!

3. Exercise

Exercise is another scientifically proven way to feel happy. When you exercise, you release endorphins or the 'happy hormone' that can make you feel cheery and excited about life. Exercising also helps you fall asleep faster, which always comes in handy. And for those who despise exercising, you probably haven't found the right workout, look around for fun ways to get exercise (Exercising with friends is always an ideal option!).

4. Satisfy your cravings

After that hardcore workout, you just did, satisfy any cravings you have. Want something sweet? Eat some chocolate or go to that ice cream store you've always wanted to try! Looking for something more along the salty route? Try some bizarre chip flavor, go out of your food comfort zone and have some fun! Though it might not be the healthiest option, at least you'll feel better afterward!

5. Hang out with friends

This one is pretty self-explanatory. When anyone is with their best friends, it's unbelievably easy to laugh until you can't breathe. That's the magic of friendship! So anytime you're in need of a good laugh session, look no further than the people already in your life!

6. Rewatch your favorite TV show

Relaxing and watching a favorite TV show is like sitting down with an old friend, all of the memories come back at once and you just feel so happy. That TV show was your favorite for a reason, so why not give it another watch through? It'd be a whole new experience! My personal favorites are Gilmore Girls, Friends, and Parks and Rec, I just love TV shows that can make you laugh like crazy.

7. Take a bath

Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better than taking a nice, relaxing bath at the end of a day. The warmth of the water and the sweet smell of soaps can relax the mind and relieve stress. Baths are crucial to human life! So if you haven't taken one in years, you should probably get on that, its one of the best feelings in the entire world, and is a foolproof way to make you forget about anything making you sad.