15 Ways To Make That Road Trip Seem A Little More Entertaining

You might even forget to ask "Are we there yet?"

35
pexels.com

Whether you find yourself in a car or on a plane, train, or bus, spending more than two hours in any sort of vehicle is an overwhelming concept. You might be stuck with a noisy sibling or a chatty friend, or you just don't know what you're going to do with yourself during all of that time.

Although you can't change who you're traveling with, you aren't limited to just staring out the window or sleeping during your trip. There is a endless amount of ways to spend your time during a long trip, and here are just a few of them.

1. Listening To Music

If you're traveling with a friend, a headphone splitter (like this) will be a blessing. With it, you and your friend can listen to music or watch videos together! If nobody you're traveling with shares your taste in music, no problem! That's what a single pair of headphones are for, after all. Just let your mind wander for a little. Sometimes, I imagine little music videos in my head to match whatever music I'm listening to. If you're the driver, you have the most control since you have access to the radio and the aux cord. Choose your music carefully, however. You won't want the passengers to complain the whole ride.

2. Watching A Movie

With the creation of portable DVD players as well as apps like Netflix, Hulu, Youtube Red, and Amazon Prime, it's easier than ever to watch movies and TV shows on the go. Time flies by much faster when you spend it watching an episode of your favorite hour-long television show, followed by a two hour long comedy.

3. Playing A Game

People tend to talk down car games, but sometimes they're all you need to loosen up a bit. A few notable games to play include I Spy, Two Truths and a Lie, Telephone, Would You Rather, Punch Buggy, Simon Says, 20 Questions, or the classic license plate game.

4. Catching Up With Your Fellow Passengers

This is especially true when you are traveling with your family. When was the last time you really talked to your parents or your siblings? Ask them about school, work, romance, all of those things that there's never been a so-called good time to ask them about. Maybe you'll even earn something new about one of them!

5. Free Writing

Have you always wanted to write a novel? Did you use to write poetry when you were younger, but just don't seem to have the time to anymore? Well, being a passenger on a long road trip is the perfect time to write your heart out!

6. Drawing

Drawing, even just scribbling, is a great way to pass time. If you turn boredom into creativity, who knows what you'll create!

7. Car Karaoke

There aren't many places other than a car where you could spontaneously burst out into song without getting looks from those around you so take advantage of that! You could even turn it into a competition if you feel so inclined.

8. Playing The Quiet Game

If you are unlucky enough to be trapped in a car with noisy siblings, you might be able to convince them to play the quiet game. It's a great way to persuade them into thinking that quieting down is fun and competitive. You could play it the traditional way and ask them to be completely silent, or you could give them a little lenience and tell them that they aren't allowed to speak above a whisper. Finally, some peace and quiet!

9. Texting Or Calling A Friend

Give your friends a little attention! Personally, getting a text from a friend who I haven't heard from in a while never fails to make me smile. On a long trip, you definitely have enough time to give a more thoughtful response than "Cool!" to their stories.

10. Doing Homework

Although it may sound dreadful, if you get your homework done on the ride there, you won't have to do any of it on your vacation! Just get it over with, trust me, you won't regret it.

11. Reading A Book

There's no better time to read a book thenn when you have no obligations for the next few hours! When was the last time you curled up to read a good book anyways?

12. Eating A Snack

Don't forget to eat and stay hydrated! You'll feel much better if you aren't hungry and dehydrated on top of feeling claustrophobic.

13. Telling Each Other Stories

These could be true stories or fictional ones, let your creativity run wild! Telling and listening to stories never gets old.

14. Take Pictures

There are bound to be hundreds of photo opportunities, regardless of the fact that you're in a moving vehicle. You could snap photos of beautiful sunsets, sunrises, city skylines, or even just the headlights of other cars moving past yours at night. If you'd rather be more social, just flip the camera around and take some selfies with your fellow passengers!

15. Going Back To The Classics

Sometimes catching up on sleep during the trip will make you enjoy the destination more when you finally do arrive. This is an especially good idea if you departed sometime before 6:00am or after 11:00pm. Also, you never know what you'll see outside the window. Sometimes it will just be trees, but other times but you might witness something extraordinary if you just take a peek!

No matter how you spend your time on your road trip, as long as you're happy and comfortable, you can't go wrong. Just keep on trying new activities until you find one that makes your travels enjoyable (or at least tolerable)!