Watch A Straight Story, Streaming On Disney Plus.

One of the best films on Disney Plus no one knows about.

4
https://pixabay.com/photos/tractor-farm-countryside-2390842/

A Straight Story is a close to perfect film. Directed by weird surrealist director himself David Lynch, A Straight Story is a surprisingly sweet and melancholy look at aging, legacy and the connections you make along the way.

I've been wanting to watch this since I ready about it in the Birth Movies Death magazine about the best live action Disney movies of all time. David Lynch? Directing a Disney film? What planet to we live in? Can something this seemingly odd work? Yeah- it's perfect.

Twin Peaks is one of my all time favorite shows and a reason I love it so much is because of it's ability to balance tone seamlessly. Twin Peaks is obviously a very dark and mature show but there's a certain quirkiness to it that makes the show enduring. Twin Peaks was a show that could make you feel nice and warm one moment and chilled to the bone the next minute.

It only makes perfect sense that David Lynch took his warmhearted sensibilities and showed them off in this film. The spiritual story of a man who rides his lawnmower across the country to see his brother and make amends with him. This is a calming cathartic ride of a film and one that I will only learn to grow more appreciation for the older and older I get.

This is a very slow movie and the film meanders a lot. The whole journey is worth it. All the faces and the little moments along the way is what always makes a journey worth it and this film understands that so well. There's still a bit more to discover about yourself even towards the end of your life. We can wallow in our self pity and our regrets or we can take strides to mend ourselves and our relationships.

David Lynch shoots rual area with such grace. These small towns look and feel so inviting. I love the fact that nobody in this movie is ever cruel. Everyone in this film is nice, gentile and inviting. It shows the hospitality of the midwest at its finest and it's a wonderful thing to see.

It reminded me of my own grandparents who have passed on. They used to talk about their own lives and stories and look at the past a lot like Alvin Straight did in this film. I remember riding in the back of the car with my Dad and Mimi, driving through the streets of Thayer Missouri and reminiscing on simpler times. This is what The Straight Story is. It is a story about existentialism and reminiscence but also learning how to mend yourself and learn from the past. Memories that hurt now might not hurt so much later.

This movie is streaming on Disney Plus and I implore every reader to give it a chance. It's slow and very quirky but you might be moved by it by the time the credits roll.

In short: I cried over a tracker.