My Experience In Washington D.C. Has Been Much Different - But Better - Than I Ever Imagined

I wouldn't be in D.C. without my drive and motivation to get where I am today.

At the last minute, the Washington Center, my internship site, told me that I no longer have a position. I panicked at first, but I contacted hundreds of organizations throughout the month of May. I went on dozens of interviews and made a couple of cover letters. In the end, I was able to get a position. I was elated, but I knew that this was just the beginning.

Being in D.C. has been the best time of my life.

So far, I've visited a couple of museums. Along the way, I made new friends. I never went out of my way to talk to people since the fifth grade, but I am glad that I did. Going to Washington D.C. is surely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Therefore, I tried to do everything that I wanted to do and try new activities that I didn't think I would do before my trip.

I have learned so much.

Since I am not the best with people in general, I learned what not to do in social situations. Also, I learned a bit about myself. For example, I understood that sometimes I need time to myself. I don't have to talk to others every second of the day. Furthermore, I realized that people are more friendly than I once thought.

I've had unexpected moments, too.

Before I went to Washington D.C., I thought that I would see people with suits and wealthy individuals walking in the streets. However, I never expected to see so many homeless people and widespread crime. It was also the first time that I was truly living by myself, so that was certainly a shock at first. I think the most unexpected moment was seeing how many people in D.C. went to bars and clubs every night. Yet, I assume this might be the case with every city.

Most of all, I've grown so much.

I can't wait to see how else I'll grow during my time in Washington.