Warning: Inspiration Ahead

Warning: Inspiration Ahead

Stuck? Don't be--here are five songs that will get you back on your feet.

17
Warning: Inspiration Ahead
Youtube

It’s summer! And while many of us rejoice for a reprieve from the long and difficult school year, it’s time to face the music; summer is not only the season of spontaneous beach trips and ice cream runs. It is also internship and summer job season, and sometimes it’s hard to get out there and get the job done when it’s eighty-five degrees and sunny outside. So, here are a few songs to remind you that whether you do or don’t make the most of your summer, you can definitely accomplish anything you set your mind to.

#1: Remember the Name (feat. Styles of Beyond)—Fort Minor

This song is the ultimate pump-up, work out, and get down to business song. After trying to find it after many years of searching (admittedly, halfhearted and sporadic searching) I found this song that had inspired me before a lacrosse game. Whether you are trying for a record running time, giving yourself a pep talk before a big interview or a test, this song is all about giving it your all. Easily the BEST motivational song.

#2: What do I Know?—Ed Sheeran

At first glance, this isn’t a motivational song. The beat isn’t quick, it doesn’t rock you to your bones, but give it a minute. The lyrics discuss optimism, love, and hope—and while you won’t be able to run or work out to this song, it’s a useful song to remind yourself that whatever you want to achieve, you can: all you need is love and faith, in yourself and in the world around you. When things feel out of your control, this is a helpful song to turn to.

#3: Don’t Stop Believin’—Journey

I don’t think I have to explain why this classic found its way here.

#4: My Shot—Lin Manuel Miranda, Anthony Ramos, Daveed Diggs, Okieriete Onaodowan, Leslie Odom, Jr., & Original Broadway Cast of Hamilton

Hamilton: An American Musical has many inspiring songs, but whether or not show tunes are your thing, this song will inspire you not to throw away your “shot.” The battle cry of a few young revolutionaries reminds us that anything is possible, even winning a seemingly unwinnable freedom from one of the most powerful empires of the time. Although the beat is slow at first, the lyrics will blow you away and remind everyone of America’s humble beginnings.

#5: It’s My Life—Bon Jovi

This one is pretty self-explanatory; if there was ever a song that celebrated you being the creator of your own destiny, it is this song. And whether or not you believe that, this will help motivate you to cross off your to-do list because it is your life!

Annndddd…. BONUS!

#6: is… Stronger, by Kelly Clarkson. After this song came out, it was everyone’s anthem. Recently, it has gotten some serious shade from some pop artists (“What didn’t kill me/never made me stronger at all,” Ed Sheeran), but it still rings true to many. Besides, with lyrics as compelling as they are and a powerful beat, there’s no reason not to trust Clarkson. And if you don’t trust her, trust me: what doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger, whether you feel it or not (Don’t take rejection too hard. If your dream internship or job doesn’t work out, you still have the rest of your life ahead of you to get there!).