Yes, I Really Want To Be A Mom— But First, I Need To Find My Place In The World

Yes, I Really Want To Be A Mom— But First, I Need To Find My Place In The World

Becoming successful, traveling, going on adventures, and falling in love comes first
338

When people ask me what I want to be when I am older, I always say a mom.

There is nothing I want more in this world than to be a mom, and a good mom at that. To provide a home, give unconditional love, and care for children is truly all I want to do. The only catch is that I don’t want to have children before I am ready to.

I am the kind of girl that gets giddy walking through stores and seeing the endless supply of little kid clothes and toys.

I am also the kind of girl that sees a little kid in public and immediately laughs and smiles, always waving back when they wave at me. Most of my friends can back me up when I say I have had baby fever forever. When I meet adults who say they have babies, I always ask to see pictures– let's be real, almost all new parents want to show their babies off, and I am more than happy to be their audience. I cannot wait for the day I can show my children off to people– but hopefully that day is in the far, far future.

I have things I want to do and accomplish before I can seriously think about bringing children into the world.

I want to finish college and then attend grad school if that's in my plan. I want to volunteer and travel serving with nonprofits. I want to find a stable career that I am passionate about and be as successful as I can be at it. I want to work tirelessly until I can buy my own home and live completely off of my own money without the help of my parents– not that there is anything wrong with getting help.

I want to be able to go on adventures.

I want to spontaneously go on road trips and vacations with friends. I want to hike to the top of mountains. I want to go on camping trips and go under the radar for a duration of time. I want to party and go out– and make it a tradition for a few years to celebrate NYE in different cities across the United States. I want to go to concerts and music festivals with people I love and go completely crazy. I want to become inspired and make art.

I want to see Greece and Rome, along with all of the historic sights both places possess. I want to see castles throughout Europe and see pyramids in Egypt. I want to drink at pubs in Ireland and visit the filming sights of Star Wars and Harry Potter. I want to be able to discover who I am as a person and live on the edge while I am young, so when I settle down, I will have a more grounded perspective of the world. I want to see cultures and immerse myself into the world, so I can share with my children my experiences of being in all parts of the world, and not just our tiny part of it.

Most importantly, I also want to meet and fall in love with the person I'll spend the rest of my life with.

I want to be careful about finding that one person who I will build a life and family with. To say I have my standards set high is probably an understatement. I'll embrace the single life and dating because I want to take my time finding that person. I don't want to feel like I am trying to beat an hour glass thinking I need to get married and settle down when everyone else around me starts to. Yes, I have friends that are already dating to marry and are seriously thinking about settling down right after college. If it so happens that I do end up meeting that person before I expect to, then hopefully he wants to experience the world with me. If not, I will do it on my own until I do find that person.

I know life happens and almost nothing goes as planned.

I will adapt and act accordingly when that does happen– but right now, this is my game plan. Having children is the biggest blessing, and I will be forever grateful and fortunate when children do come into my life.