During the spring semester of my freshman year of college, I took a general science class with a girl who said something that really stuck with me. One day, we were talking about our aspirations and dreams. She said that if she was smarter, she would major in something like biology or chemistry and eventually go on to become a doctor. I was unnerved by her statement because it applied pretty accurately to me. I have always been fascinated by science, but the fear of difficult classes such as genetics, microbiology, and organic chemistry deterred me from choosing a STEM-related major. Finally, at the end of my sophomore year of college, I've decided to change majors. Fear is a ridiculous reason to not go after something that you want.

"Having a low opinion of yourself is not 'modesty.' It's self-destruction." This is something that took me nearly half of my college career to understand. These four years are halfway over, and I do not want to regret the degree I pursued simply because I was too fearful to obtain something I truly wanted. Having confidence in yourself is so important to reaching your full potential. Up until now, I have been a bachelor of arts student majoring in psychology. Recently, I changed to a bachelor of science program with a concentration in neuroscience.

Neuroscience? Oh, my. That's going to be quite difficult, won't it? Oh, definitely. I can expect my junior and senior years to be full of difficult science classes. However, I would rather face challenging courses than float through the next four semesters taking easier, more boring classes. It's hard to have confidence in yourself, at least for me. When I changed my major, it was in a sort of manic frenzy. And no, this wasn't me being impulsive. The desire to pursue something very difficult and heavily-science based has plagued my mind for quite a while. I just had to force myself to make the decision.

Don't be afraid to change your major just because it might be difficult.

Nothing worthwhile will ever come easily. These four years will come and go, but the degree you earn will stay with you until you die. Don't look back wishing that you had taken the leap to go after something that scared you. It's never too late to be the person who you want to be or to make a decision that may throw off your initial plans. If you are thinking about changing majors, but are scared, this is your sign to do it. I believe in you, and I know you can do it. Your desire alone shows that.