I Want To Be A Writer

I Want To Be A Writer

A creative career behind the pages.

109
I Want To Be A Writer
pexels.com

The ink latches onto the magic of the creative recesses of the mind. Looping swirls and jabbed dashes envelop each other in transforming a quality so abstract into a world so complex. These words chronicle a story—a saga so rich in the hues of mythological beings and legendary wars, that it almost seemed as if I was there helping to shoulder the burdens that only fictional characters can carry.

But the world of Ragnarok was closed off to me by the stark brightness of the monitor that had previously invited me to swim in the illusions of my mind and to unlock the door to a world that is so much like our own.

There was just enough of a link between me and the characters written that I was able to sympathize with what was happening to them, but unfortunately unable to completely stop what was happening to them.

This was because I was the one making these occurrences happen in their lives.

An author is a being who wields the power of the written word as either a weapon or a gift. They have the ability to create the raw emotions of an individual to extrapolate on the radical definition of an idea.

To shed a light is commonplace, but to introduce a new lifestyle is extraordinary if one is a wordsmith.
In their careers, they are never alone for they are always surrounded by their fabricated entities and their corporeal admirers.

This certain occupation has always been a fixation of mine since the premiere of "The Naked Brothers Band: The Movie" showed itself on Nickelodeon on January 27, 2007—my third-grade year in elementary school.

After watching the movie for about the hundredth time
, I surmised that since there was no novel for this movie than I should be the one to write it.

And so, on some random weekend, I turned on the movie and opened a new Word document
in the office that adjoined the living room. As the film played, I would pause the scene after one of the characters talked and race to the computer to quickly type the words spoken.

There were times where I had to keep replaying a scene just to make sure I had their words correct—the most replayed scene being the opening one no less. It was so bad that I still remember that scene:

"Hi, I'm Nat Wolff."

"And I'm Alex Wolff."

Now, there was more than those two lines, but I vividly remember that being the first two lines spoken. Looking back on my decision in attempting to recreate the medium through which this movie was explored, I believe I wanted to write it out since I had seen so many other movie novelizations published and felt that "The Naked Brothers Band: The Movie" needed to be on bookshelves as well.

I quickly realized though that for my work to get published, I had to get permission from Nickelodeon to scribe the film because without it I would be violating copyright laws—a concept that my 9-year-old self had no idea of.

Copyright proved to be a worthy opponent in the fledgling years of my writing career as it resurfaced again as a barrier for the shared universe I wanted to create for the worlds of the "Harry Potter" saga, the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series, "The Spiderwick Chronicles," and the "Star Wars" universe.

My idea came as no surprise seeing as these four works of art proved to be my landline to literature at that young age and that they had all been my favorites.

The 'creative' concept
went like this: have all of the Chosen Ones from these respective worlds—Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Jared Grace, and Anakin Skywalker—come together to protect the universe from their own villains—Voldemort, Kronos, Mulgarath, and Emperor Palpatine—had teamed up to wreak havoc on the aforementioned shared universe.

Oddly enough, this story idea only ever stayed in my head; it was never written down or typed. Which was probably a good thing considering this idea did not just border along several copyright violations but tore them up entirely.

But just imagine for a second, a Star Destroyer hovering over Hogwarts Castle with Camp Half-Blood being on the other side of the Forbidden Forest as a Fantastical Guide is being written on all the creatures inhabiting this land. Alas though, my nerdy tendencies had to be laid to rest at the hopeful age of 10. For the time being, anyway.

Fast forward two years later to the year that the idea of childhood begins to die: fifth grade. A year that featured an eccentric English teacher and a competition among allies.

The ensuing rivalry was who could produce the better idea for a book and who could get the most admiration from that teacher for the story produced.
So, I set to developing a world made up of two tribes of dogs: an evil one led by Caedus and the other led by my own puppy at the time who was named Hurricane.

The story featured all of the dogs that I had met in my 11-year life at the time.
The leader of the evil tribe was born from the good side initially, but had turned when Bandit—the commander of the good side—exiled him. I imagined a war erupting between both tribes ending with the death of Caedus by his sister, Hurricane. I wanted this to be a five book series with a new chapter on each page. And at that age I had thoroughly enjoyed this idea for I had bested my friend in gaining the teacher's approval, but that elation was not enough in continuing the writing of these books and so only about six paragraphs were actually written for this world.

Following that failure of a piece, two years later the penultimate year of 7th grade presented itself. The year where I had begun to realize how creative writing worked, yet I still thought of it as a fine art. It was the same year where I received my first favorite English teacher, a woman named Mrs. Travis who pushed me to pursue a career as an author after turning in a 38-paged story that was raved about to other teachers.

That story featured the delectable creations of my imagination—an intriguing set of characters whose stories kept changing every year they were in my head. This story written for the class was just a tiny snippet of a summarized portion of the saga that I wanted
discover as I wrote it. The minimized version of the actual novel was titled "The Second War" as it presented Prince Merlow of the Great Lakes Tribe traveling to the island of Atlantis to gain access to the subsequent elements he needed in his quest to achieve the status of Overlord of the Elements. The saga of Merlow's life was actually the first real book series that I had ever conceived fully, meaning from beginning to end as I tried to imagine his past before the books began and his future after the present in which I had written.

Also, in my 7th-grade year, I sent a packet of my poems and short stories to a publisher hoping to be noticed. At this time, I did not know how much could be sent to a publisher for consideration nor did I know that a section of the actual novel that I was working on should have been sent in, but only if I was finished with it. The publishing company was Harper Collins, a very prestigious company, and they did respond. But their response was disappointing because since I had sent a lot of my work, the publishers were unable to look at so much in one time and so sent a note explaining that I needed to shorten the load I sent them.

I believe that the act of sending my work to that publishing company at such a young age established a milestone in my path of understanding if I wanted to be an author or not. It provided an experience that I would eventually have to tackle in the future whenever I had first finished my own novel. From that moment on, I began to seriously consider the future path of being a writer as I began to conceive more and more ideas for future stories that I wanted to see on the shelves of bookstores everywhere.

Based on the choices made in an individual's adolescent years and even before then, the career path that they choose to inevitably follow can be determined by their unique interests and their own eccentric, quirky personality. And when I think of my future in terms of what career that I will end up with, a job as an author is always present.

To utilize the magic of words and manipulate them into a written work of art is the path in life that I want to follow. I want to create worlds with characters that are an abstract quality of my personality. I want to write about the saga of a merman prince who chooses to follow his ordained his prophecy so far that he becomes the villain before finding the light of humanity again. I want to write about a future world ruled by classes of vampires that each own a separate part of the U.S. where the humans struggle to survive as they try to remember what life used to be like. I want to write about a host of legendary characters who come to terms with what the Light and the Dark actually are and how they manipulate the individuals around them. I want to write about the quest in finding the true Ani-Malia King while the human race falls to the King of Darkness. Quite plainly, I just want to write stories.