Why I Want To Be An Author

Reading was always my favorite thing to do. Before I could read, my parents (usually my dad) would read Dr. Seuss books to me. When I learned how to read, I would read whenever I could. I even played with the books. I'm not sure what I was doing, but according to my parents I would line all the books up in the house across the floor... Don't judge me. Not only did I play with books, but I would rather read than play with toys any time. I've been told the story over and over about how I was lost in Walmart when I was little and they couldn't find me anywhere... Until an employee found me sitting in the book isle, reading a book with several books around me. Normal kids go to the toy section, but not me. I've always been a book nerd.

From the start, I fell in love with fiction books. Getting away from reality between the pages of a book was, and still is, an amazing feeling for me. When I read, I put myself in the book and see the events unfolding in my mind's eye like a movie. I can read for hours because it's not really reading to me, it's watching and creating. I was so in love with fiction books that I wanted to create my own, so now I am. Writing is perfect for me, probably more perfect than reading. I'm an introverted person and I find company with books that I don't get tired of.

Growing up, I had some bad experiences and felt like I was in some dark places mentally. I was bullied for some time around fifth or sixth grade. I had bad experiences with breakups in my seventh and eighth grade. I was severely depressed in eighth grade, and the break up I had didn't help, nor did the problems at home and with life in general. It was getting to the point that I considered suicide. Multiple times. Luckily, I still immersed myself in books, so reading wasn't just something I loved to do, it was also my therapy.

I used my books to escape reality for awhile. It helped me cope quite a bit with my dark thoughts and feelings. Living through fictional characters was a big factor in pulling myself out of depression. It was a long process, and I went through many, many books. And that's why I want to write; it's not just my passion, it's my mission. I want to provide that kind of sanctuary for young adults. I want my future readers to be able to escape for a little bit, to ease their stress and hopefully ease the mental pain of depression. I want my writings, my creations, to be therapy for someone struggling, as books were to me. Books were always entertaining for me, but they can also be a savior.