When Your Wallet is Wounded

When Your Wallet is Wounded

The perfect fix for when you are having money troubles.
21

It’s no secret that money controls the world we live in today. Prices keep getting higher, and people are having a hard time keeping up. From rent, to groceries, to gas, even to something as simple as buying yourself an ice cream cone after dinner has become a huge stressor in everyone’s lives.

We all know the pain of looking at our bank accounts and thinking, “I guess I’ll just starve and walk around naked for the next month or so.” I have good news…it doesn’t have to be that way. Making simple switches to your usual routine may not seem like much at first, but I promise you that it builds up over time, and you actually end up saving a good deal of money. Through personal experience, I’ve put together the most manageable, quickest, and easiest ways to give your wallet a break this year:

• 1. Stop buying water bottles. Not only is it better for the environment, but also a huge chunk of savings you can put away each week. All you have to do is buy one purifier to keep in your fridge and fill up a reusable bottle to drink from each day.
  • 2. Grocery stores like to mark up prices whenever they can, especially when it comes to fruits and vegetables. Shop at separate produce stores. Everything you want is in one spot, just as fresh, for a cheaper price. I see no negatives here.

• 3. I don’t know who has time to read their email every hour of every day; I know I sure as hell don’t. With technology advancing these days, many stores now send out text message updates for when there are sales. Subscribe to these and you will save money and time.

• 4. Pay for gas with cash. Even though it’s only a few cents different, when you’re filling your tank those cents add up.

• 5. Next time you go out to buy any type of cosmetic, hair product, or pain relief medicine stray away from the designer brand stuff. Buy the store brand! It’s the same exact thing, ingredients and all, and does the same job for a much cheaper price.

• 6. Especially when it comes to home décor, thrift stores have way more than you would expect. I was super hesitant when I first started shopping at them, but you can find some really neat and helpful things in there.

• 7. Go out and enjoy HAPPY HOUR! We all love our alcohol and we all hate the prices. Happy hour is a great way to go out and enjoy your time with friends while saving money simultaneously.

• 8. Eat out less. It’s as simple as it sounds. You save gas money, tax money, and tip money. Plus, eating from home is usually more healthy.
  • 9. Your total has just come to $19.65. That left over 35 cents? Save it! Keep your spare change any chance you get in a jar, cup, mug, anything. At the end of each month take it to your local bank and cash it in. You'd be surprised how much pennies and nickels become a value to you.
  • 10. Last but not least, websites like Ebay and Amazon really do give you a bargain for your buck. Any online site that is known for having discounted items is telling the truth. Type in what you want, and odds are you will find exactly what you’re looking for at a cheaper price than any other place.