11 Nearby Gems That Every Bronco Should Know

Your unofficial Yelp guide for everything local SCU.

1441
Luna Mexican Kitchen Facebook

Let’s be honest: SCU is not a college town and at first glance, there isn’t much to do around campus. Ike’s, Cramer’s Bagels, Ramen Taka, Jasmine Thai, a few Starbucks, and the Caltrain Station — these are a few popular destinations for SCU students — but that's pretty much it as far as the eye can see.

At least that’s what you think.

From running off-campus and doing some exploring on my own, I’ve found an abundance of hidden gems around SCU. Even better, all these places are walkable and are within a 2-mile radius from campus! No need to pay for expensive Ubers or find a friend to drive you. From the coziest coffee shop to some of the best Mexican food I’ve ever tasted, here are some of my favorite places around SCU that every Bronco needs to know about.

1. Crema Coffee Roasting Company

My absolute favorite spot off-campus, this coffee shop is the perfect place to study or just talk and catch up with a friend. Due to popular demand, there are now 2 Cremas on the Alameda within about 3 blocks of each other. My personal favorite is the new Crema that just opened on 1202 The Alameda (also closer to SCU) as it has more space to study, sick lighting, and more food options. Nonetheless, you can’t go wrong with either Crema!

Address: 950 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95126

Hours: Everyday 7am-9pm

New location

Address: 1202 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95126

Hours: Everyday 7am-9pm

2. Westfield Valley Fair Mall

Okay so the mall is more well-known, however, you might not have been aware that the mall is walking distance from SCU! And the walk is quite scenic! Bring a friend and get a feel for the neighborhood around SCU while enjoying the many colorful, quaint houses with their cute gardens and lawns. You’ll be at the mall in no time.

Tip: The route I walk takes about 40 minutes. Start outside Dunne Residence Hall on the corner of Market & Lafayette. Continue straight on Market, then turn left on Monroe St, which you basically follow till you hit the mall.

Address: 2855 Stevens Creek Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Hours: Mon-Fri 10am-9:30pm; Sat 10am-9pm; Sun 11am-7pm

3. San Jose Municipal Rose Garden

Such a pretty sight in the spring when all the roses are in bloom! Take your friends here for a photoshoot or get romantic and have a picnic with the one you love. The Rose Garden is also a great place to run to if you’re looking for a short-distance run off campus (About 1.5 mile one-way; 3 miles round trip). Free and open to the public.

Address: Dana Ave & Naglee Ave, San Jose, CA 95112

Hours: Everyday 8am-1 half hour after sunset

4. Center for Spiritual Enlightenment (CSE)

I always passed CSE on my walk down the Alameda but never knew about it until the San Jose Immersion earlier this year where I fell in love with the Meditation Garden. The Meditation Garden is the ideal spot if you’re looking to get away from the craziness of college, relax, and contemplate. There’s also worship and yoga offered daily if you're interested in getting in touch with your spirituality. Check out CSE’s website

for more info.

Address: 1146 University Ave, San Jose, CA 95126

CSE's hours: Everyday 6:30am-6:30pm

Meditation Garden hours: Everyday from dawn-dusk

5. Recycle Bookstore

I could literally spend hours just reading and browsing through the thousands of books that are in this store. Recycle Bookstore

buys, trades, and sells new and used books, and the prices are discounted aka better than your average bookstore or Barnes & Noble. Oh, and did I mention THERE ARE CATS IN THE STORE?!? Yet another reason to stop by and check this place out.

Address: 1066 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95126

Hours: Mon-Thurs 11am-9pm; Fri-Sat 11am-7pm; Sun 12-7pm

And now for the part you've been waiting for: Food recommendations!

6. Luna Mexican Kitchen

Shoutout to my amigo from Spanish class for recommending this Mexican restaurant! My friend and I ate here last Friday, and it was some of the best fucking delicious Mexican food I have ever had. Very authentic. Loved the ambiance. Whether you sit indoor or outside, there is a nice level of restaurant chatter — background noise — and although located next to a gas station, there’s Christmas lights strung outside, heater lamps, and Mexican tunes, which makes for a cozy and inviting atmosphere. And if you’re looking for food recs, try the Veggie Grill, a dish served on a badass grill stand that comes with unlimited guac, salsa, beans, rice, salsa, and handmade corn tortillas. Mhmm. (And the guac is better than Chipotle, just saying.)

Tip: Luna opened about 6 months ago and is already a crowd favorite, so be prepared to wait. They do not take reservations.

Address: 1495 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95126

Hours: Everyday 7:30-10:30am; Mon-Thurs, Sun 11am-9pm; Fri-Sat 11am-10pm

Menu

7. Bill’s Cafe

Even if you haven’t eaten at Bill’s, you’ve probably passed by it and seen the lines outside. Well, I went to Bill’s for the first time this year and can say that it is worth the hype. (And that’s coming from me; I’m from New Jersey, where diners are our specialty, so I have high expectations for California diners.)

Bill’s has your typical diner food, the prices are fair, and the service is pretty fast despite the fact they’re always busy. Would recommend but be prepared to wait too as they don't take reservations.

Address: 2089 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95126

Hours: Everyday 6:30am-3pm

Menu

8. Sara’s Kitchen

Sara’s serves diner food as well, and the food is very similar to Bill’s. Cute place for brunch on the weekend. I would recommend sitting outside when the weather’s nice out; there’s a colorful ambiance, and the flower decor adds a nice touch. Good place to bring the family when they visit!

Tip: The house potatoes are a MUST!

Address: 1595 Franklin St, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Hours: Everyday 7am-3pm

Menu

9. Deedee’s

This Indian food buffet is a 5-minute walk from Dunne Residence Hall. I love it because there are vegetarian and vegan options, and the buffet specials change every weekend, serving food from a different region of India.

Tip: Don’t eat anything before so you can get your money’s worth (I paid about $13 for lunch) and be prepared to stuff yourself with Indian deliciousness.

Address: 341 Lafayette St #101, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Hours: Everyday 11:30am-3pm; Wed-Sun 5:30-9pm

Menu

10. Santa Clara Farmers Market

The Farmers Market happens every Saturday morning and is a great way to start the weekend! Support local farmers, pick up some fresh produce, grab lunch (My favorites include falafels, pad thai, and hummus!), snack on all the food samples (honestly, you could feed yourself lunch with all the samples too aha), and stroll through for a good time and some good vibes.

Tip: Bring your own reusable bag to carry all the food you buy!

Address: 950 Jackson St, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Hours: Saturdays, 9am-1pm

11. Sharetea

Get hyped on boba! For those unfamiliar with the world of boba, going into Sharetea the first time can be overwhelming given all the flavors and options. (All my Bay Area friends might be surprised to learn the rest of the world is not like this!) For first-timers, I’d recommend the classic, Milk Tea with pearls, though there’s flavors and varieties for all kinds of people, whether you’re into fruity drinks, just tea, or the Instagram-worthy ice blended drinks with pudding or ice cream. Sharetea’s your place and is never not a good idea (even when you’re broke).

Address: 1171 Homestead Rd #115, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Hours: Sun-Thurs 11:30am-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-10pm

Menu

So there you have it! Now stop reading this article and go create your own adventures!