Work a Minimum Wage Job

Everyone should Work a Minimum Wage Job

It builds respect.

110
Everyone should Work a Minimum Wage Job

As the stereotypical college student, I have held a variety of minimum wage jobs in my life. These jobs include being a cashier in a supermarket and being employed as a waitress. Through this, I have been able to learn the world from a different perspective.

This is evident through those that I presume have never acted as an employee in a minimum wage job. As a cashier, people would be especially inclined to tell me to "go to college" and that I could do "so much better." This first implies that one must go to college to be successful, which is simply wrong and presumptuous.

Next, it is the belief that I cannot go to college while simultaneously holding a minimum wage job. This encourages the idea that those who go to college and have the ability to be successful are only those that have the means to enroll without working otherwise. As a cashier, I received so many derogatory comments.

This is furthered when I moved to waiting tables. So far, too many people have treated me without basic human respect. One man actually began yelling at me the other day because his food was served to him too early. Also while waitressing, a man has grabbed my hand and asked me to be his "date" for that dinner. Not only was it creepy that a grown man felt that he could touch my hand, but it is also uncomfortable that I have no right to do anything other than laugh and agree.

It is my personal belief that everyone should work a minimum wage job at least once. That difference concretes that minimum wage workers, especially food service workers, are people. It is evident that people of especial privilege look down on those who work jobs that do not require licensing and advanced education.

Otherwise, one expects the same service through every engagement with a store or restaurant without taking into consideration that humans have faults and make mistakes. The increased acceptance will just make the server's life easier while also making the entire experience all the better.

No matter how talented the employee is, there are always mistakes in any organization.