Courage Means Doing The Things That Scare You The Most

I never thought I would ever have the confidence to be a writer, let alone publish my own written work for everyone to see.

I've been writing for Odyssey for almost 2 years, which is super hard to believe!

I remember being 18 years old reading Odyssey articles written by other college students just like me. I'd always wanted to be a writer/influencer, but I always thought I didn't have what it took.

Ever since I was little, there were so many things I wanted to do that I was too scared to try such as writing, acting, poetry, etc.

Whenever people around me realized I had a talent, they would encourage me to go for it.

However, I would hold myself back because I thought I wasn't ready.

I would tell myself, "I'll wait until I'm confident enough to do the things I've always wanted to do. Then I'll dive in head first!"

Now that I have experience with stepping out of my comfort zone, I'm here to tell you it doesn't work that way.

It's actually the complete opposite.

The confidence does not precede the action. It is the result of the action.

For example, writing for Odyssey was my first step out of the comfort zone after starting college.

I'd gotten so used to going to class, going to the gym and hanging out with friends.

I did what I had to do, but I neglected the things I wanted to do.

I wasn't ready to write for Odyssey. I wasn't ready to put myself out there. I did it anyways.

When I finally got the call from our EIC that I was accepted to be a writer for our school's Odyssey team, I couldn't contain myself!

I was excited, ecstatic and ready for a new adventure. However, I was also nervous and unsure of what to expect.

When I sat down at my computer to write my first article, a million thoughts were racing through my head.

What if my writing isn't what it used to be? What if people don't read my work? If they do, what if the don't like it?

On the flip side, what if this is an opportunity for growth? What if people are actually interested in what I have to say? What if I end up having a huge impact on readers just like me?

I was a nervous wreck while writing my first article, but now I pop out articles like there's no tomorrow.

I was nervous about being the new person on the team, but now the people I wrote with are the best friends I've ever had!

2 years later, I've had experience as a writer, a research assistant, a comedian, a spoken-word poet and an aspiring motivational speaker, and my confidence is through the roof!

Wanna know the secret to my success?

I put myself out there.

When you're about to embark on a new journey, there will always be nerves associated with the process. That's completely normal.

Discomfort isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes discomfort reminds us of our desire to succeed and push through the nerves.

It's okay to be nervous about new things, but you should do them anyways.

Start that blog. Enroll in that dance class. Send in that application. Film that YouTube video.

Taking the first step is the hardest part, but you've got this! I'm rooting for you!