There Is Value To Vulnerability

Vulnerability Has Value, Don't Take It For Granted

There is so much power in letting your guard down.

10
Shelby Arnett

Expressing your vulnerability means being unapologetically real. It means being open with others. It means letting your guard down, even though sometimes that can be difficult to do.

Being vulnerable allows you to make connections with others because you are showing that deep sense of emotion. Throughout my life, I have always been an advocate for vulnerability. I knew that at some point, my sense of vulnerability would be useful. This past week, that was proven to be true.

The past six days consisted of nonstop preparation within the sorority houses on campus as we anticipate the arrival of over 1,400 potential new members. The sorority recruitment process has been quickly approaching, which also meant that emotions have been running high. Throughout the week, we have experienced some stress and exhaustion, but neither of those emotions even compare to the sense of love I felt for my chapter this week.

On Wednesday, our chapter listened to a presentation designed to help prepare us for the recruitment process, as did each sorority on campus. We expected to hear about the importance of confidence, authenticity, and kindness throughout the process. What we did not expect, however, was to talk about how vulnerability affects the process as well.

We were asked, "What is one hardship you have experienced that shaped you into the woman you are today?"

The reaction was unbelievable. All around the room, girls voluntarily raised their hands and spoke to their sorority sisters about difficult situations they had gone through. There was not one dry face to be seen, and I believe that is what affected us the most. We all felt for one another and we weren't afraid to display those emotions. We came together as an entire chapter without the fear of any judgment. At that moment, we became the sisters that we are meant to be. We were vulnerable with each other and in front of each other, and it has only brought us even closer as a chapter. I will forever remember that Wednesday afternoon. Never in my life had I felt so valued after sharing the tribulations that make me the most vulnerable. I have my sorority to thank for that unforgettable moment.

Since that day, I have felt more okay with being vulnerable, despite who I am with.

Being vulnerable does not imply weakness. Rather, vulnerabilities implies strength. Only so many people can muster up the courage to be vulnerable in front of others, though it is such a beautiful thing. It allows for a deeper connection between you and someone else, especially the important people in your life. The experience that I encountered with vulnerability this week helped me realize that we all share the same quality deep within ourselves, but sharing that quality is what can be tough at first.

I was able to find connections with all girls, not just ones who were my age. It felt so special to sit in a room where judgment was not even an option. We were there for each other, simply because we showed our vulnerability.