Voting For Women Is Important, Regardless Of Politics

Voting For Women Is Important Regardless Of Your Political Party

Women are out here breaking records in the political field, and it's important that we pay attention to them regardless of our political affiliations.

120

On Tuesday night, women made history by securing a total of 112 seats in Congress. With so many issues regarding Planned Parenthood, reproductive rights, health care, gender equality, etc., it's important that we as voters do our best to vote for women for several reasons. First, we can't expect men to make decisions for all women. Why? Because they're men. Think about how hard it is just trying to pick out clothes for your boyfriend or deciding what to eat — it's hard. Men and women have differences of opinion and think in different ways. These key differences are exactly why we should be electing more women!

Additionally, we made history Tuesday night as well: We elected two Native American women to Congress, Deb Haaland and Sharice Davids, and two Muslim women to the House, Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar. On top of those huge milestones for creating diversity in Congress, we also elected Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Abby Finkenauer, who are the youngest women to serve.

A lot of women felt empowered and angered by some of President Trump's words, and this largely led to the increase of women running for political positions this election. Plus, if we have more women and women from different backgrounds in Congress, then a greater majority of the electorate will be represented in decision-making.

With Tuesday's elections came diversity, inclusion and individuality, things that America hasn't seen in Congress in a long time. Regardless of political affiliation, we should recognize the advantage that different viewpoints and perspectives provide us as citizens — a larger share of the electorate represented and an equal opportunity for all of us when lawmakers make decisions on our behalf.

I hope everyone got out to the polls to vote, and just a fun fact, we've had the largest voter turnout for young people in 25 years!