Why Volunteering Is So Important (Even As A College Student)

Stay informed, be aware, be a voice for the voiceless, and stand up for what you believe in.

239

Growing up, volunteering and helping others was something I was always taught to do and value. Even as a first grader, everyone in my class was expected to bring in canned goods for the annual Thanksgiving food drive. In middle school, I started going out into the community and making a hands-on difference in places like food pantries.

In high school, community service was kicked up another notch (we had to complete twenty hours every year except senior year). However, there were so many hours done outside of the requirement by my peers and I because we genuinely loved helping others.

One of my teachers in high school gave my class advice that I still haven't forgotten as a second semester sophomore in college: do not get consumed by the college "bubble" and remember to continue to help others because it is so easy to get caught up in everything going on in your life in college.

This advice is something I have remembered. It was one of the major reasons that I joined Delta Phi Epsilon during my first semester of college. I did not want to get sucked into the college bubble and only worry about myself. I had never lived my life like that and I was not going to let it happen in college.

Now, I have taken my love of community service and helping others to the next level. I am now the Vice President of Programming for my chapter of Delta Phi Epsilon which means that I handle, organize, and plan all philanthropic and community service work for my chapter. This is a role that I love and hope to continue next year.

This past week was ANAD (The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders) Week / National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. This was my first big philanthropic task to plan and it was amazing. I planned events for the whole week and although it was a huge undertaking, I loved the work we did.

Many of the events we did were not even about raising money but were about raising awareness. Eating disorders are the most deadly mental disorder but the general public still is not informed enough about them.

Hosting tabling activities on campus, covering on campus bathroom mirrors with inspirational posters, hosting an ANAD vigil for the victims of eating disorders, and holding a fundraiser at a local restaurant all helped raise both awareness and money for organizations that support treatment for eating disorders.

Another aspect of last week was a social media challenge. The sisters of DPhiE (and friends) blew up social media with daily hashtags like #ANADWeek2018, #TreatYourselfTuesday, #NoMakeupMonday, and etc. to show how everyone is beautiful and how important organizations like ANAD and NEDA are.

Last week made me so proud to be a Delta Phi Epsilon sorority woman but it also warmed my heart to see my sisters doing so much good for ANAD. It also proved that community service doesn't just involve time and money. It also involves raising awareness and making someone smile.

Last week showed that even busy, broke college students can make a difference during the craziness midterm week if we really put our minds to it.

I encourage everyone to do community service work no matter how busy or stressed you are. There are so many causes out there that desperately need support. Nothing will ever change if we don't work to change it. Stay informed, be aware, be a voice for the voiceless, and stand up for what you believe in.