My Experience Visiting California Was Both Touristy And Invaluable For My Future Career

This trip gave me a good idea of what my life may look like in a few years.

42
Camryn Foster

First and Foremost

This article is a reflection of my experience living in Los Angeles, California for a week. All of my opinions and realities about my experience are unique to me and may be different for you. This trip was half vacation and half business. I was able to explore and sightsee while also having meetings and opportunities to expand my view of the place I may be working in over the course of the next year. It was a valuable experience that I'm grateful to have had.

Weather

The weather in California was everything I expected it to be: Warm, sunny, and flexible. I say "flexible" because I'm the type of person who likes a variety of weather. Being in the cold isn't ideal ALL the time, but it's ideal when I want to break out my winter outfits and boots.

Los Angeles's mornings were crisp and a little windy but by midday, they were sunny and hot. The perfect combo of not being too cold, not too hot. It was perfect! You could get away with shorts and a tank, but also feel comfortable and snug in jeans and a jacket. That is my kind of weather.

At night, the weather gets a lot colder, but in a good way. Just adding another layer can take a look to the next level, which is exactly what I like doing. Especially for going out to eat or doing the various amounts of activities offered.

Half Vacation

My stay in California majorly consisted of a beautiful and adventurous vacation. I was able to spend two days in Santa Monica, lying on the beach for hours and soaking up some sun. That was my main goal, to get a slight tan and just embrace the sun and warmth. I know that sounds poetic, but tanning and the beach are my paradises.

I walked everywhere. From Venice to Little Osaka, to Hollywood, The Promenade, and Culver City. It was great to visit these places in a setting where I could truly be thankful and wide-eyed. Yes, California is a place I had been when I was little and could always visit, but for some reason, this time was much different. Maybe it was because I was on my own a lot, and was able to use my own time, space, and energy to make the best of my trip. Nonetheless, it was a vacation much needed.

Half Business

Probably about a third of my trip was really about business and my career goals. California holds a vast amount of opportunities for my major and my future. As a junior in the electronic media and film major, I needed to branch out and explore the place I may be living in soon.

I took it upon myself to schedule a meeting with a close family friend who's a casting director at BET. My meeting with him was held at Viacom, the company that owns BET, in Hollywood, California. It was there that I saw a celebrity for the first time in my life (KEVIN HART), a work environment that was perfect for me, and faces I couldn't associate and feel comfortable with. I asked a lot of questions and met people who could be critical aspects to my future.

The experience had me soaking up information left and right as if I was a sponge. That kind of feeling is what I wanted and needed. It gave me an insight into how the entertainment industry works and how I could fit into it. This experience was extremely necessary for this point and time in my college journey!

The Steve Harvey Show

I had the awesome opportunity to be an audience member at a shoot of "The Steve Harvey Show." This was a mix of vacation and business. I was able to get my first ever inside look into what being on a TV show set was really like. I observed how directors, camera operators, writers, hosts, and production assistants worked. A lot of time and effort goes into things that happen behind the scenes, which made me more excited to be a part of that one day.

Steve Harvey was funny not only on camera, but to the audience members as well. Although it got a little tiring laughing and clapping at EVERY SINGLE THING, and my face was definitely sore from smiling so much, it was a worthwhile and informative experience. The best part was that I was able to get my ticket for free since I applied in advance, and I got a free product!

Moral of the Story

My overall experience in California was memorable and noteworthy. I'm grateful to have family there whom I could stay with and have show me around.

I'm looking forward to seeing where my career path will take me.