What The Vikings Win Means To University Of Minnesota Students

Will the Vikings get to claim the sacred trophy in their own stadium?

514
ABC 6 Action News

The Minnesota Vikings clinched win on Sunday night against the New Orleans Saints. Many Vikings fans and NFL fans alike assumed the Vikings had choked and lost their 17-point lead, but as fate would have it, the Vikes made it out alive with a game winning touchdown for the last play of the game.

Case Keenum sealed the deal with an amazing catch by Stefon Diggs who ran the ball in for the game winning touchdown. The whole ordeal was so out of the ordinary for a Vikings game that the whole world went wild. The final score didn’t come out until a little while later due to the commotion before the mandatory field goal attempt.

If you don’t already know, the Super Bowl is being held in Minneapolis. Will fate have it that the Vikings get to play in their first Super Bowl since 1977, a 41-year drought. The Vikings have never truly won a Super Bowl, so will this be the first time they get to bring the Lombardi trophy to their enemy soil?

With all the commotion and high hopes for this year's Super Bowl hometown team, the University of Minnesota faces a challenge. What will campus be like, with US Bank Stadium just two light rail stops away from the East Bank of campus, and only one away from West Bank? Will the overflow be too much to handle in this big city?

Already University of Minnesota students are receiving email updates on what the plans are for campus. In the latest email, we were clued into the possible commotion that will happen at Northrop and the closing of the sidewalks between Tate and Walter Library.

“A tent is being installed between Scholars Walk and Northrop Plaza. These areas will remain open, but the sidewalk between Tate and Walter Library will be closed until February 7. Leading up to the Super Bowl game, Northrop will be hosting various Super Bowl-related activities.

As you walked past Sally's Saloon on Sunday night you could hear nothing but joy. People screaming, and you could hear the SKOL chant being shouted loud and clear. As a Packer's fan I couldn't help but cringe and smile all at once. This is not what typically happens for the Vikings, and I'm glad they had their chance. My support would differ, however, if not for the heartless injury that benched our Lord and Savior Aaron Rodgers this season, and single-handedly ruined the Packer's chance at the playoffs. But, there's always next season.

So, will this town get to see its team play in the most important game of the NFL? Will this be the first ever time a team hosting will also play? We can only hope to keep this bustling town bumping. Maybe, we could even get classes cancelled if they win? President Kaler, I will let you decide that one. But, if that is the case, you might see me not so mad if the Vikes take it all.

Be sure to stay up-to-date with the Super Bowl activities by visiting: https://twin-cities.umn.edu/super-bowl