Vernal Equinox: The Start Of Something New

A Start of A New Season

61

This year, the vernal equinox was on March 20! Spring is officially here! I like each season for different reasons, but fall will always be my favorite season out of the four. Sorry, spring. But! I still love spring for many different reasons. Watching everything that was once dead, regrow, and become beautiful once again. The weather warming up once again, and because of this, we don’t need to wear so many layers to keep warm! Baseball season starts. If you’re school then you have spring break to look forward to. And lastly, the school year is almost over!

Then you go your holidays. There is Easter where we get to celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus, Arbor Day which is a day that encourages to plant trees around the world because we need trees to live, Chinese New Year which celebrates the turn of the traditional lunisolar Chinese calendar, and so many more.

Here are some facts about Vernal Equinox that you may or may not have known.

Vernal Equinox is either on March 20 or 21.

THE VERNAL EQUINOX IS THE START OF THE SPRING IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE AND FALL IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE.

Equinox comes from the word "aequus" meaning equal in Latin, and "nox" meaning night.

During the Vernal Or Spring Equinox, daylight and darkness are almost the same lengths

Equinox is when the moment when the Earth's axis doesn't tilt toward or away from the sun.

Equinox only happens twice a year.

In Chichen Itza Ruins, a city in the Ancient Maya city, crowds gather for the Spring and Fall Equinox to celebrate the Vernal Equinox.

People watch as the sun creates shadows that look like a snake moving along the stairs of the Pyramid of Kukulkan or El Castillo. The snake descends until it merges with a large, serpent head sculpture at the base of the pyramid.

Nowruz, the Persian New Year starts on the Vernal Equinox

This is a centuries-old holiday, and it last thirteen days.

In Japan, they have a national holiday called Shunbun no Hi that celebrates Spring Equinox

On this day, some people visit their ancestor's graves.

Freya (Norse Goddess), leaves the Earth during the cold months, but returns in the Spring

Freya restores the natural beauty.

I hope you enjoy the longer days, the nice weather, and all the others things that come with the spring season. I'm not looking forward to the bugs, mud everywhere, allergies, chafing, and the hot weather. But I can't wait to watch thunderstorms, go on bike rides, hiking, and swimming, go to the races, road trips, spring break, enjoy the starry nights, and the fresh air.

The pros outweigh the cons, and they make it all worth it. You will have many springs, but only one life. So, make each one worth it. Live your life to the fullest because you never know what life is going to bring.

Information source: History Channel and Thought Company.