how to have a Vegan Thanksgiving

If You're A Vegan, Here Are 7 Ways You Can Have Thanksgiving Dinner This Year

Have your pie and eat it too!

24
https://unsplash.com/photos/zTwfJIs_ao0
Ashim D'Silva

Halloween is over. That means Christmas is here, right? Well, a lot of people would argue that we are skipping over another very important holiday: Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a holiday, that brings together families to shove their faces full of food, and there are specific foods that we all know and love to eat every single year. Now, some may think that if you have dietary restrictions, you can't really enjoy Thanksgiving. That isn't true! You can have a 100% vegan Thanksgiving, and you would have to miss out on your holiday favorites!

1. Turkey.

tofurky-tofurky.netdna-ssl.com

Yes, even as a vegan you can have turkey on Thanksgiving! There are numerous brands of meatless turkey and gravy like Quorn, Gardein and Tofurky. Tofurkey even makes a specific "Holiday Feast" Tofurky roast for all of your Thanksgiving needs.

2. Dinner Rolls.

d2gk7xgygi98cy.cloudfront.net

You can easily do vegan dinner rolls for your holiday feast. You can either make them from scratch from a vegan recipe, OR they have brands in stores that are safe for vegans. Surprisingly, "Pillsbury" crescent rolls are vegan! Also, brands like the "Whole Foods" brand also have vegan options. Just make sure to read your ingredients lists.

3. Cranberry sauce.

www.simplyrecipes.com

This one may be a little harder because if jellied cranberry sauce is what you really love and job, you may be disappointed. Jellied cranberries usually contain gelatin. However, the cranberries that are still the full berry are usually safe from a can. Again, be sure to read your ingredients list, and you can always make it from scratch!

4. Mashed potatoes.

www.skinnytaste.com

This one is actually super easy. You can mash your potatoes in the same way that you mash any potatoes. Just use nondairy milk and vegan butter. I've been loving "Oatly" oat milk, but you can also use almond milk, cashew milk, hemp milk, or even coconut milk. For vegan butter, you can use "Earth Balance." Even "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" has a vegan alternative now.

5. Vegetables.

cdn.apartmenttherapy.info

There are always vegetables on the side. Whether it be corn on the cob, peas, or carrots vegetables are ALWAYS vegan. Just add salt and vegan butter.

6. Green bean casserole.

images-gmi-pmc.edge-generalmills.com

I'm not sure if this is something that every family makes for Thanksgiving. I know most of the people that I know make it. It's actually one of my favorite dishes. Although this one has to be made from scratch. As far as I know, you can't just find a frozen, vegan casserole and pop it in the oven. It can also be a bit of a pain. Since cream of mushroom soup is one of the main ingredients, you can't use that. It is definitely not vegan. For most recipes online you have to create an alternative from almond milk, seasoning, and flour.

7. Pumpkin pie.

images-gmi-pmc.edge-generalmills.com

This you will also have to make from scratch, but you may be able to get away with only having to make the filling- which is easy. There are a few vegan pie crusts you can buy in the store. "Publix" and "Whole Foods" both have pre-made vegan pie crust options. You can also buy vegan whipped cream! They have brands made with coconut oil to top off your dessert!

So, if you're a hungry vegan, and you are nervous for Thanksgiving, don't worry! There are so many different ways to make your holiday vegan and still be able to feast! You can fill your belly happily this November. Just make sure you're willing to put in a little bit of work. Cooking and studying labels will definitely be a necessity.