Why Did My Internship Disappear?

This summer, like so many other college students, I got an internship to gain more work experience. At first, everything was going great. I felt like I was not only gaining work experience, but also learning about how to handle multiple tasks at once. And then, things went wrong.

I had just gotten back from spending a few days in Canada with my family, when I realized that I had gotten no calls or texts from my boss, and when a check of my inbox revealed that I had gotten no new emails, I started to get suspicious. I went online to check the company website, hoping to find someone to contact with all the questions racing through my mind, and I was shocked. The website was gone.

Long story short, the company I had been interning with had pretty much vanished. And to be honest, it gave me a lot to think about.

1. "Wait... WHAT?"

Where did they go? What's going on? What do I do?

2. "Companies don't just vanish overnight, do they?"

At least, I've never heard of a company vanishing like this before.

3. "Is this somehow my fault?"

Maybe this is just because I tend to be on the overanxious side, but is there anything I did that could of lead to this?

4. "Wait, shouldn't they have told me if the company was closing?"

Should I have been told in advance? Are there any requirements for companies to let employees or interns know if their closing down?

5. "Why can't I get in contact with anyone?"

Are my coworkers okay? I wish I had other contact info for them either than just a business email address.

6. "Wait... this was my only internship lined up for the summer..."

Should I apply to another internship or job? Are there any internships or jobs left?

7. "Is it okay to be this panicked?"

I know that a company just vanishing out of nowhere is unusual, but should I be this panicked and anxious about it?

8. "Will I ever know what really happened?"

To be honest, I'm not really sure that I will. I haven't been able to contact anyone, and I haven't received any emails or calls explaining what happened While I'd like to know what happened, I think that The Case Of The Vanishing Company will always remain a mystery.