You Owe It To Your Single Self To Realize That, Sometimes, Less Is More

Feeling treasured instead of less than.

523
Personal Photo

Well it’s about that time where we’re all guilty of entering into the feels, wishing we had someone to bring us flowers. “Cuffing season”, Valentine’s day vibes, and formal right around the corner definitely calls for a post on how to be single. I’m not sure what season of life you’re in, whether you’re single or not, or if you have a relationship with God. Regardless, I think that everyone, both guys and gals, can gain something from this article, so just hear me out.

This past weekend my dad asked me if there’s currently any boys I’m interested in. With a genuine and candid heart, I explained my take on where I’m at right now with this topic, and I’m here to share it with you all too. This topic has been on my heart for months now, and my dad’s question sparked even more reflection which allowed me to piece my thoughts together.

First, let me share a little bit about myself so you get can an idea where my perspective is coming from. I’m a 19-year-old who is absolutely loving her freshman year in college filled with sorority sisters, the sweetest hall mates, and Jesus teaching me something new every day. I’m that girl who you’ll often find re-watching One Tree Hill episodes while everyone else seems to be in love. But for the past couple of months, this hasn’t been okay with me, and feels as though God is SCREAMING at me “My daughter, WHAT are you thinking?!” The Lord has recently been putting the importance of singleness on my heart and the sweetness that it has about it that I have been overlooking. I’m here to say how essential our time being single is and how to emulate the glory of God during this time of waiting.

We have to look at this time as a treasure because it truly is a gift that God gives to us.

If you’re in a relationship, great for you I hope you’re so very happy. But if not, don’t ever feel that you’re less than, not pretty enough, not worthy or not loved. We can receive all of these things (beauty, love, worth, etc.) from Jesus, He DIED to give us these things. I truly believe that there is someone out there for all of us and in time, they’ll come. I’m not here saying I perform this perfectly, I have had more than my fair share of tears over this. But for months now, I have enjoyed my time as a single lady and tried to soak up everything the Lord wants to teach me right now. Everything occurs through the timing of the Lord, and that includes singleness. And guess what? God WANTS you to be single right now for whatever reason. That’s why it is ESSENTIAL to lean into Him and receive all He is offering to us right now. I promise you that you’re not forgotten and God has His hand in this, please trust that truth. I’ve always been somewhat of an independent person, leader, and even sometimes controlling if I’m being honest. I’ll always have flaws, but God is showing me things now that ONLY apply to me when I don’t have a guy around my arms.We need to take advantage of this time by tuning our hearts, minds and moments to Him instead of mourning about not having a relationship.

Our time as single is special and to be valued, ya’ll. It is a necessary time to grow in ourselves and with others. Know that the Lord wants you where you are right now FOR A REASON, most likely to draw near to Him. He is most important and we can’t look to a significant other to satisfy our neediness. God created us with neediness and emptiness so that we could fill these empty holes with Him, you don’t need a boyfriend/girlfriend to do that.Let’s make our relationship status to “finding God”.

Now, I’m not here to shame those of you in cute relationships. In fact, not long ago I was one of you. Relationships can be so great, but man they’re challenging. I can only speak from one experience, but it taught me more than I expected God wanted to show me. It definitely had its flaws and struggles, all relationships do. But my confidence and hope in it was solely because God had a hand in it and was present smack dab in the center. Was it perfect? Heckkkkk nooo. There are several things I would've changed if I knew what I know now. But was it worth it? Absolutely. Why? Because God showed up, ya’ll. He gave so much guidance to me in that time and showed me so much that I am now realizing. Because of this, my heart is tuned to what He is begging me to realize about singleness and how He wants me to take advantage of it. I’m also not writing this to tell the single people that “everything is fine”, because I know that sometimes it really does just suck. But as Levi Lusko often says, "Where there is impossible pain, God offers incredible power." God is present and FAITHFUL, in all ways, His plans are higher and He has goodness in store. This isn’t a time to mourn and wait around for Prince Charming to appear; it’s a time to be obedient to God and grow in Him into the person He's calling you to be. We exist to pursue God; therefore, we must leverage this time for the glory of God. This time is not meant to be filled with distractions, singleness is about being devoted to God and pursuing all He has for you during this time.

How great would it be if we were happily ever after before we even started dating? It is salient to be happy and fulfilled with God first before dating. For this, God made the space in our heart only to be truly satisfied by Christ. We must get our relationship with God right BEFORE a romantic relationship with someone else. We won’t be able to love others until we stand correct with God. Love is from God, if you’re being loved by God, you can love others. But, you cannot love others until you love yourself as the beautiful person God created you to be. Let’s stop flirting with the world and fall head over heels in love with our anchor and one constant, Jesus.

I’m in a season of patience. I too struggle each and every day with all that I just shared with you. BUT…Ecclesiastes 3:11 says“He has made everything beautiful in its time…” There is a season for everything in God’s perfect and strategic timing.

We all want to be the happiest possible, and the only way this will happen is through God’s plans for our lives because He plans the best for us. So, why would we want anything but the best? Let’s look UP to Him before we look AROUND for someone else to satisfy our thirst.

I’m writing this because we must understand that this is not something to be frowned upon or pity ourselves for. We must rejoice in this beautiful and perfectly timed gift from God. Love is our merciful, unconditionally loving God who brings us abundant grace instead of an oversized Valentine’s day teddy bear and a box of chocolates. God is beautiful in ALL his ways, even when we can’t see it. Open your heart to Him instead of a relationship for now. You might be exactly where God wants you, maybe not forever, just right now.

P.S. Please enjoy some pictures of me and my favorite GALentines ;) Single ladies gotta stick together on Valentine's Day, am I right?! Simply the best a girl could ask for.