Why You Should Spend Valentine's Day With Your Family

It's Time To Spend Valentine's Day With Your Family And Not The Guy Who Will Break Your Heart

A special day with the most special people in your life won't go wrong.

78

Unfortunately, not all of us are in stable relationships or in a relationship period.

We don't all have a “boo" or a group of “Galentines" to spend February 14th with. Valentine's Day, as we all know, is a scam, anyway. It's just a fabricated holiday that gets money out of the public by making us think we have to spoil someone special for one day out of the year. The thing is, though, why do we need one day to treat someone to something special? Don't buy me roses on Valentine's Day, buy me roses on some random day in June when you just think I would like to have them or when you know I'm having a particularly good or bad day.

Valentine's Day is notorious for making those who are single sad because they're, well, single.

But that's sort of just ridiculous. Valentine's Day is the day of love, not necessarily the day of romance. I love my family. I'm really close to my family. In my twenty years, I've only been in a relationship on Valentine's Day once and I had to go to work, so it wasn't even celebrated. But my most memorable and appreciated Valentine's Days were the ones where my sisters and I would receive chocolates and stuffed animals from our parents. Those were the times when love really shined through.

One of my fondest memories is of my parents sending my two sisters and me on a scavenger hunt in our house on Valentine's Day, complete with decorations and chocolate-covered strawberries. It meant so much to us, just knowing how personalized everything was to each of us, not to mention it was something we could do together. We're older now, but we still love spending time together. I can't help but smile at how fun it would be to just go to dinner with my sisters on Valentine's Day, get dressed up and then come back home to watch a movie and do face masks.

When you spend Valentine's with family, there's no pressure to look good or to know what to say.

You're just with the people you're always with. It doesn't even have to be a big deal. It could literally just be you and your siblings or your parents sitting on the couch in pajamas, watching Harry Potter with some popcorn and candy bars. It could be going to the movies or it could be making a run to get some milkshakes. Maybe you treat it like any other day and make some dinner and just enjoy each others' company.

Valentine's Day doesn't have to be (and shouldn't even be) the most important day of the year. It doesn't have to be a day where you pull all the strings to make it the most special day. It doesn't have to be a day that makes you go broke or that you have to severely budget for.

If you think you have to go all out on Valentine's, think again.

Especially if you're someone who is new in a relationship, there should be zero pressure to make Valentine's a big show out. By that point in a relationship, you should still be trying to figure out what your relationship dynamics are and you may not have a clue how the relationship will turn out. So, in my opinion, it would be a waste of time and money to dedicate so much at that point. Again, there is nothing wrong with laying low, especially if the future status of the relationship isn't even certain.

Even if you're someone with a significant other, don't think that you're required to spoil them.

If they really appreciate you, they'll understand that a five-star restaurant or tickets to go see their favorite band isn't always feasible. What is feasible is time. There's nothing saying that spending time with anyone you love isn't special. It's the time we have with others that makes any day special at all.

On the other hand, don't expect too much from others on Valentine's. I think people often let themselves down by thinking someone will go out of their way to make every Valentine's Day one for the books. Appreciate the time set aside by whoever you spend that day with, whether it's an extravagant night out or just sitting at home with a couple of the people closest to you.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.