5 National Parks To Trek Through During Your Next Utah Trip

As you drive through the park you are canvased by enormous canyons that are decorated with the greenery.

175
Karlee Onstad

This past spring break, my sister and I ventured to Utah, the land of canyons and Mormons. In six days we visited five national parks, slept in the back of a minivan, spent hours driving from one park to the next, lived off of bagels and peanut butter and had the most memorable and awe-inspiring experience of my life. No matter how much I try to articulate my words, the beauty can never be fully captured. So logically, the only solution is for yourself to take a trip to these five National Parks in the vast state of Utah.

1. Capitol Reef National Park

First, take note that “Capitol” is spelled with an “O” and not an “A”, just so you don’t mistake it for the latter and accidentally plaster the wrong spelling in your scrapbook. Second, Capitol Reef is one of the most underrated parks in Utah but holds some of the most spectacular scenery. This park excels as constantly surprising you because the colors, formations and structures can change so abruptly around each corner while also flawlessly flowing together.

I would recommend hiking Cassidy Arch which in total is around 3.5 miles. The trail randomly lacks a distinct path which can make you a little nervous that you strolled off track but a few yards further you’ll easily find your way again. But nevertheless, it will excite your second-grade self by making you feel like you are discovering new lands. Last, if you visit and are looking to camp you must stay at Sleepy Hallow Campground, because if you hit the off-season just right you will have the entire campsite to yourself and can back your minivan right up to the edge of the site, open the back door and lay comfortably in your sleeping bags while watching the sunset behind the canyons.

2. Canyonlands National Park

So you must get up early to visit this park, not just because it can get crowded but because if you start driving up the canyon right before daylight you will be able to witness the sunrise over the horizon highlighting the snow-glossed mountains in the distant and bringing to life the vast plains that spread in every direction off of the road.

Mesa Arch is a must-see viewpoint if you visit Canyonlands that is only a short half-a-mile walk. I may or may not have shed a small tear of wonderment when first seeing the view hidden behind Mesa Arch. I didn’t know perfection was real until I saw this view. The second point to visit is the popular Grandview Point Overlook which runs alongside the drop-off point as countless canyons fade into the horizon. But what makes this site unforgettable is finding an extended ledge, playing a relaxing playlist on Spotify, using your backpack as a pillow and taking a nap under the sun only two yards away from the edge. Forget living on the edge, sleeping on the edge is muchsuperior.

3. Arches National Park

Delicate Arch is the probably the most popular destination at Arches and it does not disappoint its popularity. The hike is surprisingly difficult because for a solid ten minutes you are climbing a 65-degree slant (okay, I may be slightly exaggerating). But to say the arch is delicate would be misleading because it is huge! I don’t understand physics or geology or anything earth science related, but regardless, however that structure was formed, it was a beautiful miracle.

4. Bryce Canyon National Park

While it was raining the day we visited Bryce Canyon National Park and we, unfortunately, were unable to hike, the drive-to-viewpoints were equally outstanding. Besides, I don’t think my legs minded taking a day off of strenuous movement. This park is famous for its endless number of hoodoos that scatter the depths of the canyon. They are these rock formations that seem to sprout from the earth and reach for the heavens. Besides their intriguing and unbelievable structures, the term “hoodoo” itself is just a fantastic word.

5. Zion National Park

While I fell in love with each unique national park, if you must pick one, go to Zion. It will meet your expectations. AND MORE. As you drive through the park you are canvased by enormous canyons that are decorated with the greenery. You must arrive early in the morning otherwise parking and lines will require immense patience. But trust me, that alarm clock will only trigger that excitement to explore.

If you are prepared to ascend over two thousand feet in four miles, with an overall eight-mile hike, then you absolutely must hike Observation Point. It will test your motivation, lung capacity, and gluteus muscles, but it will also bestow the most rewarding landscape that you thought only existed on postcards. It was the moment I looked over Observational Point that I ‘peaked’.