How to Use Social Media Effectively to Promote Yourself

10 Tips on How to Use Social Media to Promote Yourself

Social media is a huge part of everyone's lives, so make sure you're using effectively to promote yourself.

8

We use social media all day, every day. We use it for just about everything. If you're trying to create a name for yourself, you should be using social media. Here's how to use social media effectively so you can promote your brand.

Share Your Expertise

If you want to promote your brand, you need people to know what it is your brand represents. Are you promoting yourself as a fashionista? A graphic designer? A vegan chef? Make sure your social media accounts are all showing your expertise in whatever your field is. It should be obvious what your skills are right when someone clicks on your page. If your social media accounts are mostly full of personal photos that don't show your talents, people won't even know what your brand is representing and you won't be effectively promoting yourself.

Make Every Post Count

If you want to use the power of social media to your advantage, you need to make every post count. While every post shouldn't necessarily be a promotion, you should make every post have a purpose. Don't just post something for the hell of it. If you're going to post a photo, it needs to add value to your page. If it's not directly about your brand or your expertise, it should be about creating an image for yourself. If you want to be considered a travel expert, then share pictures of the beautiful landscape you caught last week.

Encourage Discussion

If you're posting on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, you should be using your pages to encourage discussion about topics related to your brand. Ask open-ended questions that attract people to your page. People love sharing their opinions, so you should be giving them the opportunity to do just that. This also allows you to engage with people on topics you know a lot about. You'll garner respect and people will start to consider an expert voice in your field.

Make Your Accounts Visually Appealing

This is particularly important for Instagram. You want your Instagram account to really catch someone's eye. If someone is new to your brand and clicks on your page, they're going to make a snap decision about whether or not to follow you. If your account looks messy and unattractive, you aren't going to get very many new followers, no matter how great your brand is. Put in the effort to make each photo look great, and make sure they all look great together on your page. If a photo sticks out like a sore thumb, it might be best to just remove it from your page.

Have a Separate Strategy for Each Account

Each of your social media platforms should have their own specific strategy for promotion. Instagram should obviously use photos to create a brand image and promote your skillset in a visually appealing way. Facebook is great for creating discussion and talking directly with people who want in-depth discussion. Twitter is a great tool for more lighthearted discussion with people interested in your niche. You can also use Twitter and Facebook to share any blog posts you create related to your niche.

Use Attention-Grabbing Headlines

When you share blogs on Facebook and Twitter, make sure your headlines really grab the reader's attention. Social media is a great way to advertise your content for free, but you'll be wasting it if you aren't attracting readers. People make split-second decisions about whether a blog is worth reading. Make sure your headline is clear and exciting, so people are more likely to visit your blog.

Make Your Pages Unique and Uniform

Each of your social media accounts should have a clear feel to them. People should be able to gauge your vibe right away, just by looking at the pictures you post, the tweets you create, and everything you share on Facebook. But you also want to make your pages unique. Make sure you highlight what sets you apart from other people in your niche. Your personality should be all over your pages. This makes people feel like they can relate to you more, which is a great way to build an audience.

Be a Resource in Your Field

If you want to have a social media following, you really need to know your stuff. People should feel like they can ask you for advice related to your niche, and you should be able to respond effectively. If you have readers and followers who know more about your niche than you do, you won't garner any respect from people. Make sure you're always on top of the newest trends in your field so you can be a great resource for people to rely on.

Post at the Right Times

No matter how great your social media posts may be, it won't matter if nobody sees them. You need to make sure your posts are going live at the prime social media hours. Generally, the best days to post on Facebook and Instagram are during the regular work or school hours. So from around 9 A.M. until around 6 P.M. is when people are most engaged on social media. Posting at these times will lead to more people seeing your posts. Weekends are generally the least engaging days. Definitely avoid posting on a holiday or on a day that a major event or tragedy has occurred.

Don't Overdo It

We stated earlier that every post on your social media accounts should add value, but this does not mean you should only be posting promotional content. If you are constantly bombarding your readers with links to your blog and advice, people will grow tired, feel annoyed with your social media presence, and unfollow you. Supplement your promotional content with posts that feel more human and down-to-earth. These posts add value because it helps people relate to you on a human level, and not just on a superficial level.