Why U.S. Soccer Missed The Plane For Russia

Arena and all the old guys are not the only at fault!

59

It happened. Everyone joked about it and laughed it off, but now we are being laughed at. After making seven consecutive World Cups, the United States will not be present in Russia next summer.

The question now isn't what went wrong but what didn't go wrong? Everyone thought this time last year the former coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, was the problem. The execs at U.S. soccer thought so too so they fired Jurgen and brought back Bruce Arena. The fans were very indifferent about Arena. On one hand, you have a very well performing coach both in U.S. soccer history and in MLS. But on the other hand, he has lost his way, he is no longer this amazing coach, still good just not amazing anymore.

So we went along with it, hoping that maybe this is a good thing and that we will be okay. All the way up to late summer we had a winning streak and an unbeaten streak. Arena made some sketchy moves with new young players but one thing was certain, he was winning and stopped any second thoughts. But as he started creating his squad that would get us back into the World Cup, he stopped picking the new guys, the young guys.

Bruce Arena was the coach in the early 2000s, he had very talented players and some of those players are still playing. Just because they are still playing does not mean they are good. However, Arena went with the older guys; Howard, Gonzalez, Bradley, & Altidore. Howard was great in the last World Cup, he is not anymore. Gonzalez is always a solid choice, but he can't keep up with the young guys. Bradley has the knowledge and experience, but he too can't keep up and it is evident he just doesn't want to win nor cares enough to try.

Finally, Altidore, I get it he is strong and quick and has a strong shot, only thing is his finish is complete crap. He has scored many goals but ever since he went England something happened and he lost his skill.

We need an overhaul of the system. The biggest problem isn't that we don't have enough talent, the biggest problem is money and time.

To be recognized by the national team, at least the easiest way, is to join one of their camps. To do this, you try out for an academy held by one of many clubs throughout the U.S. Once brought onto the squad you must pay thousands of dollars in order to stay at the club, some of the clubs even make you pay to try out. Then you must perform well at your club to be recognized by the National team (at any level you are in).

Even performing well doesn't always mean you are in. This is usually when you are chosen to go to a training center held by the U.S. National Teams. Even here it doesn't always mean you will be selected, it even says it on their website. The number of tests that they run is insane. Now I am not saying that they need to accept everyone. All I am saying is that if multiple coaches and scouts at the high levels of the sport see them as worthy then they need to be developed.

We ask so much of these young players and demand skill that is not possible. The way the U.S. views soccer is not competitive. Most Americans still see soccer as a sport that anyone can do, and many town leagues around the nation are REC leagues.

How can we ask so much skill from a 13-year-old kid if it is at this age that they are being taught skill and how to dribble well. How can we ask that they pay thousands of dollars with no promise of development? The system is broken.

Bruce Arena messed up, the entire USMNT messed up, but the real problem is the way we develop the young players. Once we invest our time into making more Pulisics and stop caring for the Howards and Bradleys, the better off U.S. soccer will become!