From A Believer
popular

From A Believer

For those living in the world, but not of it.

552
From A Believer
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_H1jH1jDvz.jpeg

As Christians, Jesus calls us to “not conform to the pattern of this world” (Romans 12:2) or as most Christians will commonly coin it, “to be in the world but no of the world”. And many of us strive to live by this notion. But some Christians take this statement to impart judgment on those around us. We, as a church, and the body of Christ, have resorted to condemnation of others, and harsh judgment and accusation of those who may not be like us. Even I am guilty of looking at someone who isn’t following Christ’s way, and having an opinion about it. But Jesus calls us to be like him. As it is written in Genesis 1:26, when God created the Earth, He said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness” where image and likeness mean that we are to have a demeanor and compassion like our God does. Then why is it that we are so easy to point a finger at those who aren’t following the commandments of the Lord? What’s ironic, is that in our haste to judge, we too, are sinning against God. Recently in my walk with the Lord, I discovered some things that changed my outlook on my faith, so I encourage you to look at my discovery, and hopefully gain the same insight I did.

We are quick to judge non-believers.

We are called to be not of this world, but that does not grant us the permission to dismiss those of the world. So often I have been told of people who completely disowned ‘non-believing friends’. That isn’t what Christ called us to do. He calls us to walk with those who don’t believe, in an effort that every eye will see, and every heart will know HIS name. But we are so consumed with pointing out the fact they live in sin, that we can’t even be bothered to love like Jesus does, and to share the gospel with them. One of my favorite passages in the Bible is John 8:3-11. It says, “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stoneat her.Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" No one, sir,” she said. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared.” No one in this passage, not even Jesus himself, condemns the woman. Because as Jesus says, we are ALL full of sin. We have all done wrong. But we, as Christians, have the power to pray and ask for forgiveness. So it is our job, our responsibility to not only abstain from judgment, but to pray for, and share Christ’s love and forgiveness with those who may not know it. 

As we judge non-believers, we even more harshly judge Christians.

We have all been guilty of gossip within the church, or school, when a Christian makes a mistake. We are quick to look down upon those who sin, once, or habitually. But is that Christ-like? Does that honor God? It doesn’t. Romans 3:23 states, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Every single one of us has committed sin. But that choice, that decision is between no one else but you and God. And once you ask Him for forgiveness, because His Son died on the cross for us, we are immediately forgiven, and washed clean. Matthew 7:3 says, “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” As Christians, we must be wary to not judge others, as we too have sinned, and the only way to redemption is through Christ himself. 

Take all of this as a grain of salt. I know this isn’t perfect advice, but I’m hopeful it shed some light onto your walk with the Lord, as it did for me. If anything, take the time, instead of judging another, to share Christ’s love with them, as He calls us to do. And maybe they will feel convicted to lift their life to Him. What a blessing it is that Jesus truly forgives. 

Always,

HMS