No, Trump Is Not A Racist For Ending UNRWA Funding

The United Nations is an observer, a responsible parent if you wish — and no good parent can openly declare a favorite child.

96

When news broke out that the United States is cutting off funding to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), media outlets went into a frenzy. After all, what better opportunity is there to once again label President Trump as a racist, socially conservative monster who could not care less for the hopeless lives of poor Palestinians living under the destructive conditions of the Israeli apartheid?

Before breaking it all down, some background would be useful. The State of Israel was established in 1948. At the time of its establishment, following a brutal war brought on by its Arab neighbors, the tiny state did displace around a couple hundred thousand of the land's native Arab residents — some estimates state around 700,000.

The UNRWA was created in 1949 with the intention of aiding some of those refugees in creating a new life.

Fast forward to 2018. This is perhaps the only case in history where refugees from over 70 years ago still hold their "refugee" status, refusing to change, accept or resettle in new lands.

Moreover, since all offspring produced by the original 700,000 are also automatically awarded refugee status, there are now more than five million UNRWA recognized Palestinian refugees. At the time of the UNRWA's creation, the total population — Jewish and Arab — living in Canaan was around a million.

But the UN's sympathetic approach toward the Palestinian issue is the root of the problem. There is no denying that there is a conflict in the Middle East. There is no denying that, yes, in the last 70 years, the Israeli government was led by some questionable figures who made questionable decisions and acted in regrettable manners.

However, there is no denying that much of the same, if not more, can be said on the Palestinian side — and that's putting it lightly.

The United Nations is an observer, a responsible parent if you wish. And no good parent can openly declare a favorite child. But that is exactly what the UN has done over the years. Israel has the most resolutions imposed against a country in UN history.

And the bias is especially clear when one considers the aid UNRWA has put into the terrorist-controlled Gaza Strip. The Hamas terror organization has used UN money to fund schools and enrichment programs to the impoverished and promote a terror-oriented curriculum. Hamas has also used UN-sanctioned schools as launch sites in its various conflicts with Israel.

In short, Trump's decision was very simple and rather reasonable. U.S. money that goes into UNRWA, in fact, goes in the hands of Hamas — not into the hands of impoverished Gazan children. It goes to promote terror, construct firearms and pay for Hamas leaders' lavish lifestyles.

Trump's decision makes sense. If your car engine does not work, continually adding oil to it will not make it any better.