The Ups And Downs Of Kansas Spring
Seasonal

The Ups And Downs Of Kansas Spring

This... Is Kansas.

871

I don't know about the rest of you, but spring is one of my favorite seasons, second to fall. Like every good thing in life, there are both perks and downsides.

Everything Looks Less Dead

Source

Winter is over? How do we know this? Well, look at that. There's a tiny little bud on that branch. There are some more on that bush, and that tree. It's beginning to look a lot like springtime! It gets greener from here.

Artsy Pics On The Camera Roll

Source

If you are into photography at all, or at least like to take some snapshots to make the beauty last longer, then springtime is one good season to capture some pure beauty. You can take your camera, even just the one on your phone, and immortalize those flowers (they don't last but they'll always be in their prime on the camera roll), and those horizon shots look better with more vegetation covering that ground.

Maybe you can be artsy and take a time lapse, a picture of that same plant, bud to flower.

Gardening

Source

Most people know somebody who is into gardening, who frequents the garden center at the store, looking for flowers to add around the exterior of the house. I've always wanted to do some vegetable gardening myself but haven't actually tried growing any edibles until this year.

Upgrade To The Wardrobe

Source

From a new Easter dress and hat to floral blouses and brighter colors in general, a change in the season means an adjustment in clothing. As much as I like Autumn/Winter earthy tones, sweaters, and boots, it's good to make an adjustment to lighter materials and more color. And a bonus, the warmer weather means no more hiding a well-thought-out outfit under a winter coat.

Storms

Source

Pro or con? It depends on whether storms fascinate or scare you, whether or not you mind a rainy date. For some, there are concerns with damage caused by flooding or tornadoes, if anything like that happens close to home. In the American Midwest, the warm front from the Gulf of Mexico and the cold front from the Rockies clash, resulting in a mess. Rest assured, after warmer days, there's a crash, with pouring rain and thunderstorm.

The Temperature Swings

Source

The only two seasons where temperature is really set is the winter and the summer, cold and hot. Spring and fall are a trade-off of warm days and cold days until Kansas finally picks one extreme to stick to. Spring has the leftover cold from the winter. One day, it's warm or mild, the very next day, there's a cold front and you have to unpack the winter jacket from the storage box because winter weather isn't done yet. That, or you dress warmly to find summer weather. Then the next day, it's back to a cold front and you didn't bring that jacket.

Allergies

Source

Thank goodness, I'm not one to get allergy attacks, but some of my friends and family members do. My mom, for instance, likes flowers and gardening but can't enjoy spring so much because her nose and eyes itch badly from all the pollen floating around in the air.

It Doesn't Last

Source

Both Spring and Autumn, the pretty seasons, don't last long in Kansas. The flowers are here today, then the next thing we know, they've fallen off the trees and summer is in the doorway.