Confessions From An Upperclassmen As Finals Approach

10 Confessions Of An Exhausted Upperclassmen As Finals Season Hastily Approaches

It's a stressful time of the year, but it's also important to take care of yourself amid the stress!

199

As the semester draws closer to an end I feel compelled to come to terms with 10 things that I've come to realize during my time as a college student. Now being a junior by no means, means that I have this whole finals thing figured out, but it does mean I have a tiny bit of a better grasp on how to handle everything it throws my way.

So to all college students everywhere underclassmen and upperclassmen alike here are 10 confessions from someone who's been put through the wringer a time or two that I think we all can relate to.

1. Winter break feels like it's a million miles away  .

In all reality, the time between Thanksgiving break and winter break is no more than three weeks. But add in about a hundred last-minute assignments, copious hours study for finals, and hoping and praying you do well enough on your finals not to fail and it can feel like an eternity. We may be in the final stretch, but we all know that majority of the time the final stretch is by far the hardest.

2. Having nearly a week long break between exams is annoying.

Yes, I understand and appreciate the argument that having an extra week means that I have plenty of time to study or my finals. But c'mon people, I really just want to be on my way to New York City to experience the city at Christmastime. Not stuck in a library cramming for exams alone because all my friends were finished after the second day and get to go home.

3. Mom wants a Christmas list, but all I can think to ask for is an A in Bio.

Image: Finals in College vs. Finals in High School

goo.gl

Santa, if you can hear me and can pull through with a 4.0 GPA that would be great. I promise I won't even eat the cookies I am supposed to leave out for you this year.

4. Sleep? I don't know her.

Granted, I average between four to five hours of sleep during throughout the better half of the semester, so finals shouldn't be an exception. Between trying to get some last minute time with friends before we all head our separate ways for a month and cramming for five exams sleep just isn't a priority. The irony is that I know just about everything I can do to improve my sleeping habits, I just choose to ignore them all and continue with my bad decision making. But then again, I want to get into grad school in a few years so I can sleep when I'm dead.

5. The phrase "your final is non-cumulative" is life-changing.

Every college student understands the overwhelming sense of euphoria that fills your body when these four words escape your professors mouth. It sounds ridiculous but having to study for five topics as opposed to all 45 that you've covered in one semester is relieving. All profs that give their students non-cumulative exams should be given the highest of praises because they are the actual real MVPs.

6. Stressed is your constant mental state.

Image: I'm always stressed

goo.gl

Five to seven exams in a span of a week and a half? Yeah there's no way anyone could possibly be stressed about that.

8. Mental breakdowns and crying are forms of exercise correct? 

There's something about a secluded cubicle on the fourth level of a library that lends itself to being the perfect place to let a few tears slip every now and again. Let the record show though that these tears are not entirely tears of sadness or frustration, these can also be tears of elation because you just finished your last final and never have to look at another chemistry textbook for the rest of your life. Each form of tears is accepted and well understood during finals week.

8. Underclassmen friends that swipe you into the dining hall are blessings.

Image: Lenoir Dining Hall | Names in Brick and Stone: Histories from ...

goo.gl

OK I'm going to go ahead and be quite honest with you: During finals week buying groceries and cooking my own meals is not at the top of my to do list. So having friends that are willing to have a mutualistic relationship where I get free food and they can use up their extra swipes is wonderful. Also, as much as I complained about dining hall food as an underclassmen it is significantly faster, and at times more plentiful, than me fending for myself.

9. Finals means one less semester before I have to go out into the real world. 

Grad school and post grad life is looming around the corner and I am not about it. I am comfortable where I am so please stop reminding me that in three short semesters I will actually have to figure things out on my own. If I'm honest, I can claim to be an adult as much as I want but I don't have the first clue about what adulting is.

10. Saying goodbye to my friends will always be the hardest thing to do before breaks.

Yes I am well aware that in no time I will be back in the same area code as these people, but that doesn't change the fact that I am used to seeing them multiple times a week. I am a people person and I love to be around my friends. so sue me if being away for a month is saddening to me. When you're used to seeing the same people day in and day out it feels weird to break out of that routine even if it is for only a insignificant amount of time.

I wish the best for each of you as finals season rapidly approaches. Also, despite the fact that I use humor as a way of dealing with the reality of finals week, I want everyone to study hard and do well. Right now finals seem like the end all be all, but I promise you it isn't and you'll look back in a few years and realize that the effort and struggle that comes with finals week can teach us something about ourselves.

Take the time to eat something, drink water and rest! I'm not the best at remembering to take my own advice, but take care of yourself. You're far more important than a good grade in organic chemistry.